SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried to replace my intermediate pipe with a WALKER®/Starla 53058 - Aluminized Steel Exhaust Intermediate Pipe. The length and shape is right, but the two ball ends were different sizes. front smaller (~58mm ID) than back (~64mm ID). The cups they're supposed to fit into are the same size and fit the smaller ball well. Needless to say, the pipe didn't fit due to the rear ball being too big. Has anyone else experienced this? Are the ball ends the same size on your 900?

Any thoughts on how to get a part that will fit!?!

Any info would be appreciated -

·
Registered
18,237 Posts
Thanks for the info BobSaabit - I'll try a different supplier, I guess.

I had a unique problem with a Starla/Walker once. A new pipe (supplier sent at their cost) from them cured it. Maybe they just messed up.

I think you can still (eventually) get to a knowledgeable sales rep at Walker by hunting through their web site. I had an issue with another car that there was a lot of confusion about in the exhaust area. Fed, CA, Canadian, and in-year changes made it a challenge. Bottom line, I worked it through with the sales/tech rep at Walker and we got Rock Auto to (eventually) send the right part although I gave up on getting them to pay the shipping for what was a listing mistake (it was post-RockAuto's migration to "blame the customer for all issues" policy).

So, bottom line, I might try to talk with Walker... or just get your supplier to send another - hopefully at their cost. There aren't many "quality" exhaust manufacturers left out there. Walker might be the best available of what's there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solved

Original posts were correct. I went to my local Queens, NYC NAPA autoparts store and bought another. I brought calipers with me and measured at the store. The Starla part (with the same part number 53058) had ~58mm ID on both ends. Part installed easily. I am returning the part purchased from CarID.com, who tried to be helpful, but without the part in hand or technical drawings, customer support's hands are more or less tied.

Thanks for your help folks -

·
Registered
884 Posts
Last year, I ordered a starla from ADvAuto and the socket on one end was wrong. The part number sticker was correct. It was almost like they could not decide between a male and female socket and went with something in between. A male fitting would not fit into it if you tried to use it as a female and if you tried to use it as a male - it would not seal into a female socket because the male end was not complete. I did not have time to return and cut the end off and used a long stainless butt clamp. Sounds like STarla quality is really going downhill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts