SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and searched for any info on this topic but I couldn't find any information...

I have a 1999 9-3 5 door hatchback and am trying to fix up some of the smaller cosmetic issues...

So, some questions... hopefully someone out there in Saabland knows the answers...

1. Are the steering wheel radio controls supposed to be backlit? Mine aren't, should they be? Can I dissasemble them and attempt to replace the bulb (if any) or do I have to order a whole new set and hope they come with bulbs that work?

2. The rear seat power window controls...same question. Are the power window control switches (the ones in the rear doors) supposed to be backlit? Mine aren't, should they be? Can I dissasemble them and attempt to replace the bulb (if any) or do I have to order a whole new set and hope they come with bulbs that work?

3. How exactly can I replace an instrument cluster bulb... the one behind the tach is burnt out so the right side of the tach guage is dimmer than the left...or is this the way it is supposed to be?

Not exactly earthshaking problems here I know, but they are bugging the crap outta me so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Freddy

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
You have to remove the cluster to get to the bulbs. It's about a 2 hour job. Unfortunately, the bulbs are are $10 USD at a dealer. The are roughly 30 bulbs and three or four different wattages in the cluster. You really need to get it out to see which bulb(s) you need. The bulbs are identified by different colored bases. There are green, black, gray, and white. If you locate the defective bulb and the dealer doesn't have any, you might be able to borrow onr from either the SID o ACC. Some have bought mini bulbs from Radio Shack, but I'm not sure that the wattage (and associated illumination) would be the same.

And, remove the negative battery cable before removing the cluster. On the NG900s (not sure about the 9-3s), it will cuase an SRS alarm that can only be reset by a dealer (SRS alarm on 9-3s resets automatically if conditions test good) ... Ron

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I'll bet that VW uses the same bulbs, and there is the number factor.
Go to a yard, a pick it yourself one. Still this is not for the faint of heart.;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts