SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been wanting to make the interior of my ng900 look a little better. I want to replace things like the rubber shift boot, shift know etc. Are there any saabs that came stock with leather knob, shift boot, handbrake boot that i could salvage off a junk vehicle. My funds wont allow me to buy ones from Genuine Saab.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The SE models, in '96 and later years, came with both a leather shift knob and shift boot. All SE models came with a leather wrapped steering wheel as well. Hope this helps. ;ol;

·
Registered
18,932 Posts
^ What he said.

No stock leather brake boots in the NG900 or the 9-3. Some guys say they've made one for the 9-5 fit but I tried and I couldn't make it happen.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
My personal favorite shift knob is the all leather with the shift pattern embossed on it. Early 9-5 Aero's I think.

I too tried to get a 9-5 hand brake cover to fit, was close, but not close enough. -- A fresher set of brushes for the hand brake opening go a long way to improve the look if the current set are showing some age.

If you've got leather showing some age, consider repair and re-dye kits such as from LeatherMagic or Leatherique.

I've seen some pretty amazing jobs re-skinning the fascia on the dash. With the products on the market, almost any texture and hue are available from a carbon fiber look, brushed metal, matte, gloss pretty much you name it. Takes patience and a hair drier or heat gun.

I'm really not much of a chrome guy, but the chrome interior door latches are more pleasing to my eye than the dull gray ones.

Vinyl dye or replacement of the plastic interior door pulls will also clean things up.

Might sound hoaky, but a nice set of properly fitting carpeted floor mats can help a lot too.

·
Registered
954 Posts
How about swapping the steering wheel to a 9-3/9-5 Aero one? Will it fit the 900?

I've just started to do a few small changes to my interior, should be all done by August. I've swapped the steering wheel for the Aero one, vinyl wrapped the dash, new head unit and about to fit some vinyl covered door caps.

Dash was covered in some 3M Di-NOC vinyl wrap, takes a while to do and get right (mines not perfect)

I'm covering the centre console & in between the seats next plus centre glove box (basically all the grey plastic bits!)

Wood door caps & glove box trim covered

Plus covering around the grey door handles, pic below from google give an idea but a bit too much for me!!

More detail below on 5th page
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227446&page=5

·
Registered
261 Posts

This was a base S 9-3 that got the SE/Viggen steering wheel, saab wood grain shift knob, and chrome doors handles. (it did have a full interior swap though from an '02 SE as well).

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Ive been wanting to make the interior of my ng900 look a little better. I want to replace things like the rubber shift boot, shift know etc. Are there any saabs that came stock with leather knob, shift boot, handbrake boot that i could salvage off a junk vehicle. My funds wont allow me to buy ones from Genuine Saab.
Some SE's will still have decent condition boots and knobs. My 99' has pretty decent shape knob and the boot is fairly new looking just dirty. The knobs are the crummy part as they are unique to our cars since the reverse lock-out feature is integrated into shifter tube and that ring you lift up on for reverse, meaning the Auto Zone ones won't work with out some modifications you may or may not like. The boots on the other hand can be replaced with other boots from other cars. I'd suggest removing it, then go find a newer Mazda or similar car with manual trans and find a boot with similar shaping and style that fits. The one in my SE is barely "real" leather. It's almost "pleather" like which is why I'm suggesting other cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts