SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be surrounded by a chorus of various unwanted noises - where are the main culprits and how can they be shut up! I'm pretty sure the area where the rear seat back latches on to the bodywork is one of them ( as with most hatchbacks)

·
Registered
179 Posts
is this the '97 in your comment? My '96 is surprisingly quiet inside, I was amazed when I bought it a few months ago (for only 5G's!). My only real squeak I need to fix is the dash rattles a bit at lights. I'll be posting a photo sequence when I fix that, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. My rear dash has a few buzzes when there's too much bass, but that's my own fault ;)
Try to locate a few of the noises and we can probably help with some cures.

Andrew

·
Registered
9 Posts
BSR tape

If you are inclined to take care of those noises, there is a product called BSR tape.

It's Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene in tape form. So you may see it labeled as UHM or UHMW tape.

To use, you put a layer of it between surfaces that rub or hit against each other.

It works really well.

While you are at it, you can also use this tape around the house. I used it to fix a dresser with stubborn drawers.

-arr

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tightened up the bolts that hold the latching bars on the rear seat and wraped the contact area with a bit of electrical tape - this seems to have cured the major rattle from this area although there is a minor one from the hinged top part of the seat. I think also the instrument cluster clear plastic is rubbing somewhere as when I push on it it stops. Now I've started on this I worn't rest till it's noise free. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,747 Posts
aurelio said:
If you are inclined to take care of those noises, there is a product called BSR tape.

It's Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene in tape form. So you may see it labeled as UHM or UHMW tape.

To use, you put a layer of it between surfaces that rub or hit against each other.

It works really well.

While you are at it, you can also use this tape around the house. I used it to fix a dresser with stubborn drawers.

-arr
Where can you get such tape?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I just use silicone spray on the rubber seals every 6 to 12 months..I have no squeaks, rattles, vibrations..I can even drive with the hatch not locked(just closed) and nothing rattles unless I hit a spped bump at 60 mph...:cheesy: .

The old VW Golf had a horrible temperature and RPM dependent vibration that I finally cured with Great Stuff expanding foam. But I sold this car; we will never know if the "repair" was permanent...The body metal is too thin in many cars, this is a problem unless all else is perfect..

·
Registered
272 Posts
My dashboard vibrates loudly at idle, quite annoying.

-zen

earthworm said:
I just use silicone spray on the rubber seals every 6 to 12 months..I have no squeaks, rattles, vibrations..I can even drive with the hatch not locked(just closed) and nothing rattles unless I hit a spped bump at 60 mph...:cheesy: .

The old VW Golf had a horrible temperature and RPM dependent vibration that I finally cured with Great Stuff expanding foam. But I sold this car; we will never know if the "repair" was permanent...The body metal is too thin in many cars, this is a problem unless all else is perfect..

·
Registered
619 Posts
You know, a major cause of the "DASH" rattle is actually from what's either in your glove box rattling hitting the door, or the tweeter speaker covers! Just try, next time when you hear the vibration, touch the plastic covers on the tweeters and see if it stops. To cure this, use the tape as listed above to act as a cushion between the dash and the cover. Good luck!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used a combination of Strip Caulk and foam tape to get rid of the noises up front. Strip Caulk is like a very stickly clay that you can pick up at a parts store. Whereever something is lose, you just shove some in there and it's done. Very simple. I am still getting bad noise from the back, but haven't had the chance to fix it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
rattles

I too have a rattle. The very front of the dash(near the front windsheild) on the passenger side rattles at idle. Very annoying. I am unsure how to get this part off but will use a double sided foam tape to fix when I figure it out

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Mine is full of rattles - mainly toward the rear when I brake, there is a high pitched squeaky rattle from around the parcel shelf area. The whole rear seat rattles too, probably because I've got three amps mounted there...

Might attack it soon with some sticky stuff and try and sort it out - another job for the winter with installing some electric seat heating pads...

·
Registered
321 Posts
my car rattles alot, more when cold. i noticed that my rear spoiler was loose and was causing one very annoying rattle/buzzing from the trunk area when the engine is idling. i also get some annoying creaks and pops in the dash when going over bumps or hitting potholes. even with the noises in this car, it is still better than most cars i have owned in the past

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Excessive vibrations from todays music will cause rattles in any car as well as hearing loss..

But the '96 rattles not, even with the hatch not locked or with missing clips at the cluster /front dash panel mounting... I 've never had a Saab "rattle" except for an exhaust rattle - common problem with the early ones, todays are much better...
Contents of the glove box will rattle, but the box is just large enough for the manual, the papers, and a pair of gloves...
Some people have ultra-acute hearing, I don't ( a blessing in disguise ?).......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts