SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Interesting vid.

The condensate pipe exits are directly beneath each front seat, but there is a 90° bend immediately inside so you won't get the tube shoved inside far enough.

The start of the drain is behind the vertical carpet panel, centre console, about level with the front of each front seat. Pull the carpet down and it is obvious. One each side of course. However if you put the foam etc in at that point, I think its downstream of the cabin air filter. Might as well check the tube anyway, as the 9-5 up to 2004 (I think) has a half inch spigot feeding into a quarter inch tube. This ingenious design feature guarantees periodic blockage of the spigot by debris. I periodically look under my car to see whether I have twin pools of water. 2005 on had larger diameter tubes so it took them 7 years to react to the problem.

In order to get the spray through all parts of the system, I think in the 9-5 you would have to inject it immediately downstream of the blower. That way it would get the evaporator too. Its a pain getting to the fan, but there may be space to feed the injection tube past the fan into the duct entering the HVAC unit. This risks fouling the fan of course, and your fingers would be alarmingly close to it. Its a force to be reckoned with, certainly at full speed.

If you take the cabin air filter out there's access to the space between the evaporator and the heater matrix so thats useful. You might get a small vacuum nozzle in also, as there will be debris. From this location you would have access to the downstream side of the evaporator - the foam may or not soak through to the upstream face. Certainly not if the fan is running.

The more usual aerosol gas bomb type solution, which you set off and leave in the car with the AC on recirc for a while, is sucked through the evaporator and everything else by the recirc function, but of course its a mist, not foam. I once tried one on a 9-3 and it didn't make much difference.

If you're really enthusiastic you might take the cabin fan/blower out to allow better access to the evaporator face but that in itself is a chore.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Im sure other 9-5 owners will also find your 411 very helpful

Seems like it's back to using my steam cleaner into the vent. That works for smell, but not really deep cleaning the entire hvac system

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
"411".

Had to google that! (I'm in England).

I've just remembered that the fan speed controller inserts into the incoming air flow downstream of the fan chamber, and before the evaporator, so there's your way in. The controller would have to be re-inserted before running it though. Alternately, drill a temporary hole in the duct adjacent, to poke the tube in.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Sure. I meant drill a hole in the side of the HVAC unit, right alongside where the fan controller inserts. I would think that would allow the stuff to be sprayed into the airflow before it reaches the evaporator, preferably downstream of the heat diffuser vanes (so as not to contaminate them), with the controller in its fixed position. It might be possible to pull the controller out a bit to allow a gap to insert the tube alongside, but I believe the vanes get rather hot so might melt the tube.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure. I meant drill a hole in the side of the HVAC unit, right alongside where the fan controller inserts. I would think that would allow the stuff to be sprayed into the airflow before it reaches the evaporator, preferably downstream of the heat diffuser vanes (so as not to contaminate them), with the controller in its fixed position. It might be possible to pull the controller out a bit to allow a gap to insert the tube alongside, but I believe the vanes get rather hot so might melt the tube.
Pardon my ignorance, is it under the hood or under the dashboard?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Depends whether pre or post 2006 I think. The design of the HVAC peripheral bits and pieces evolved over the years. It will be behind the kick panel to the right of and higher than the driver's right toes, or on the symmetrical location in the passenger footwell. In either case the horizontal panel with the courtesy light has to come out from under the dash, and if it is passenger side, the glove box too.

Its a pain to access from the agility standpoint, and its easier if you remove the seat so you have more room to lie on your back. I'm skinny, and built a platform level with the door sill to half lie on, and didn't remove the seat. Alternately you could jack the side of the car up and kneel on the ground. Depends on agility.

The head of the controller is about the size of a credit card, might be behind a thin transparent plastic cover, and is held by two 6 mm screws (there are 4 holes but 2 are utilised).

BoC2h2wBGk_KGrHqUOKi0EtlrYrJ0RBLl9_TW_Qg__1_large.jpeg

This is the outside face, and it may not have the yellow sticker. Its nearly as big as a credit card. The radiating fins are other side, projecting into the air flow.

You may not be taking it out of course, if its possible to inject the gas beside it through a drilled hole (make it downstream).

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Depends whether pre or post 2006 I think. The design of the HVAC peripheral bits and pieces evolved over the years. It will be behind the kick panel to the right of and higher than the driver's right toes, or on the symmetrical location in the passenger footwell. In either case the horizontal panel with the courtesy light has to come out from under the dash, and if it is passenger side, the glove box too.

Its a pain to access from the agility standpoint, and its easier if you remove the seat so you have more room to lie on your back. I'm skinny, and built a platform level with the door sill to half lie on, and didn't remove the seat. Alternately you could jack the side of the car up and kneel on the ground. Depends on agility.

The head of the controller is about the size of a credit card, might be behind a thin transparent plastic cover, and is held by two 6 mm screws (there are 4 holes but 2 are utilised).

View attachment 275146

This is the outside face, and it may not have the yellow sticker. Its nearly as big as a credit card. The radiating fins are other side, projecting into the air flow.

You may not be taking it out of course, if its possible to inject the gas beside it through a drilled hole (make it downstream).
Thanks

Im watching a YTV now. Seems the squirrel cage is under the cowl.

FYI mine's a 2004 FF 2+ minutes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts