SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not really a problem I guess, its just weird. A couple of weeks ago when I parked at uni I saw my coolant was leaking from possible the thermostat (at edge of rad, something thats inside that has to electrical wires coming out). when I got back to my car a couple hours later there was a big pudde under my car, and the level was just above or right on the min. mark.

I was worried about overheating issues but I think it actually heats up alot less than it did before (before alot of time at slow driving the temp went right up to the red zone). Now it pretty much stays where it should be.

Its like the car knew what is good for it. Im gonna leave it like this unless it starts overheating/not getting hot enough

·
Registered
987 Posts
The thermostat is mounted in the head below the throttle body where the upper radiator hose attaches to the engine. What you are looking at is the Fan Switch. It is essentially an electric thermostat that tells the radiator fan when to turn on as well as low/high. Your car may have been overfilled, although usually when that happens it will spit coolant out of the expansion tank cap. I'm assuming that after you ran it for a while you checked the level in the tank again. As long as that's ok, I'd just keep an eye on the ground under the car as well as the temp gauge. Coolant isn't supposed to come out of the fan switch so likely if you ever do heat the car up, that's going to be the weak spot where you could lose all your coolant. If you have BARS leaks or some other sort of stop leak stuff in your system that may have plugged it back up, but don't count on it holding up forever.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!
it hasnt leaked since, and the temp has been fine. It also wasnt overfilled-it was just under or exactly at the max line.

however that shed a few pounds of weight so now I can definatley feel the improved power to weight ratio

1 - 3 of 3 Posts