SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is more suitable for the lounge - but since its fairly technical maybe not.. I dunno.

Anyway, a good friend of mine had mentioned to me before that his dad worked for the saab rally team up until the early 80's. ( He is originally from Finland ). Last night I called in, and his dad was there. Of course, I had to try and ask him a few questions. It was a bit late, and I didn't want to keep them up all night, so we just talked for a while.
He mentioned quite a number of interesting things - which some people on here may know anyway, but I've not seen them discussed.
Apparently the rally team had developed prototype 99 turbos with 4wd.
This was just before the funding was cut.
As well as working with the 99 turbo rally cars, he worked with preparing 900's for autocross.
They managed to get 350hp from the 16v engine. It wasn't quite clear if this was the B or H engine, but probably was the B engine with a 16v head. He said the B engine was stronger..
They quite often used the turbo from a lancia delta integrale. They used CIS injection from some v8, with 2 injectors per cylinder.
The cylinder head was ported, and they used bigger valves. The bottom end was standard except for stronger conrod bolts.
He was fascinated by the fact that I had megasquirt hooked up, and said the crude ignition control was a major drawback for them at the time.
We of course discussed the weak gearbox, he said that 3rd gear always failed first, and that 2nd gear was stronger. He said the rally cars had a special gearbox casing, and they used a differential from a van!
I asked about gearbox oil coolers, and he said they always hooked up gearbox oil coolers to the rally cars.
He also had some fascinating information about the suspension setup.
Apparently the rear springs from a ford scorpio ( possibly still branded granada in the uk ) are a direct fit onto the front of a 99/900. They are progressive, and get extremely stiff, avoid the car bottoming out. He also mentioned they changed the height of the lower wishbone mountings relative to each other, which had the result of pulling the front of the car DOWN under acceleration instead of upwards. I know this sounds crazy.. He mentioned it was very important to get the front of the car low enough to have the driveshafts straight. As I was leaving, he looked at my car and reckoned the front was about the right height. He reckoned the front arb removal to be a great idea :)
All in all a fascinating experience, hope its of some interest.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Very interesting indeed. You're going to have to set up a camera and do a full interview with him and put it on YouTube.

Onto Ebay for some scorpio rear springs. What van did they take the differential from?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know all of those points are very bare, but he has no english so it all had to be translated for him :)
A few more minor things before I forget..
We know its important to limit the movement of the front engine mount, but he said theres also a lot of movement at the right hand side, and the engine can move enough to "pull the suspension" and affect traction on the right hand wheel. At that stage they were using the non-hydraulic mounts ( as used on the 8v, and they drilled through the centre of the mount, and put a bolt through it to limit the movement. For actual rally cars, they sometimes used a solid aluminium mount. They used 3 mounts at the front..
He said that with an adjustable cam sprocket, moving the intake cam half a tooth ( can't remember in which direction ) was enough to yield much more top end power. Will ask which van..

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I was guessing this, but he could not remember the model number.
Just regarding the springs, he said a little had to be cut from the spring to make it fit properly in the seat, 1/4 to 1/3 of a coil.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He left saab in 1987 so bear that in mind. But yea, he said 2nd was stronger than 3rd. He said they overreved in 2nd, and then went straight into 4th.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
philb said:
He left saab in 1987 so bear that in mind. But yea, he said 2nd was stronger than 3rd. He said they overreved in 2nd, and then went straight into 4th.

Nice!

Second was my favorite in my 9-3, now it can be in my 900 as well!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, its strange cos I'd always heard that 2nd was weak. Even if the box doesn't flex as much, I'd say theres still a fair chance of stripping the teeth off 2nd with enough power. He said the box they used for the rally cars was ( at one stage ) longer - this might imply more room for wider gears.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Palmer1980 said:
Nice!

Second was my favorite in my 9-3, now it can be in my 900 as well!
I've heard launching in 2nd is the way to go if you've got the torkz.

I think you can get about 12LPG (launches per gearbox) in a c900.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The ring gear from the Van is huge. Won't fit into a standard box without modification.

The question really should be what did they use for the pinion gear? Or did it actaully match up to the larger ring gear?

This would mean larger diff but also you could run larger tires without the ring gear failing so soon.

Bigger ring gear/bigger tires

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get the impression it was a fairly modified box :) I doubt I'll be able to get much in the way of details.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I wish 2nd was a little taller, but for all my really aggresive driving 85% of it is in 3rd gear and 15% in 4th. 1st, 2nd and 5th see very little action.

3rd redlines at 85mph and for most thats more than fast enough on sharp corners on the street. shifting into 4th when needing to go over 95mph since on the turbo you have to crank it all the time for heart stoping power as well as anything below95 and the lag time is to great so you end up down shifting to 3rd again.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
allessence said:
I wish 2nd was a little taller, but for all my really aggresive driving 85% of it is in 3rd gear and 15% in 4th. 1st, 2nd and 5th see very little action.

3rd redlines at 85mph and for most thats more than fast enough on sharp corners on the street. shifting into 4th when needing to go over 95mph since on the turbo you have to crank it all the time for heart stoping power as well as anything below95 and the lag time is to great so you end up down shifting to 3rd again.
And who said men were the more agressive drivers??:lol:
Hi Jen *wave*

Thanks for the interesting information.
I'd love it if you could find out about the intake cam. That's an easy enough one.:cool:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts