SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the Title states, this thread topic is about intercooling piping.

Has anyone increased the inner diameter of the piping yet from a stock steup or even a modified setup?

Or would this just increase a bit more "Lag" without a more efficient turbo?

And what is the current size of the "tubing" they are using now? Ide really like to come up with some stainless steal setup in summer.

Thanks boys hopefully you can either link me or give me some ideas whats going on ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I haven't yet looked at the configuration of the charging system setup on the 93, but on the evo by changing out the piping you could pick up about 10whp and throttle response. The increase came from uniformed piping and cutting out a lot of unnecessary bends.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven’t done any major mods yet. I started wrapping the entire intake pipe system with heat shield. In the V6 they run that stuff so close to the exhaust there is all kinds of parasitic heat getting into my intake. I will have to wait until summer if I notice anything. Either way it looks really good.

Shiny things add 5hp at least.

Increasing intake tube sizing isn’t really what the saab motor is all about anyway. Smaller intake runners higher charge velocity = low end power. And that’s what saab is all about.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cocept is more flow in = more power. the heat shield idea isnt bad at all imo

but ide like to try this and see how it goes :) i broke my hand today at work so 4 weeks and i can buy/install my stage 3 lol lol

·
Registered
201 Posts
OMG

Dude - u'v been talking about the stage 3 for too long.

Buy it, i'm in oakville - & i'll give u a hand (lol).

I've done mods b4.

Cheers

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kooby your technically a neighbour lol.

and har har on the joke. broke it today at 8:30pm drove to the hospital (stick) sorta difficult lol.

was out by 10:00pm :) cast comes december 24th hahaha merrry xmas :)

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
To go along with this thread...has a company made post intercooler aluminum intake pipe with fins for the 2003-present 9-3? Seems like it would be a significant cosmetic and very minor performance upgrade. The older 9-3s had the intakes, though they were pricey.

Why not make another small intercooler before the intake manifold?

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another intercooler? neg .

more lag.

you can buy the piping ex: ebay for $100 and fit to car. im doing this when weather gets nice :) aprilishhh :) if it doesnt improve i will remove anbd go stock.

my plans are 2.5" tubing + thicker intercooler with bsr stage 3 all coming spring.
after that its big brake upgrade then suspension :)

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
2.5" tubing should be last on that list as it's pointless without a much bigger turbo...and even then the benefits are probably negligible.

There are guys using the stock piping and have 450-500 BHP.....

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
PM user Vigge, who is running a GT3071R with stock T7 intake hardware, including stock piping. His last dyno was somewhere north of 430 whp...

He knows of at least seven or eight others in Sweden and Finland.

I'm running 2.5" piping from the turbo to the throttle body but I have that same GT3071R. If I had a stock turbo, the increased diameter would likely hurt performance rather than help it. With the smallish stock turbo, there's no need for the smoothed out throttle response that's the main benefit of going to a bigger pipe with a bigger turbo.

Good luck, whatever you decide

EDIT: Here are links to his dyno sheets.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Agreed, larger IC pipe would be useless, you'd have the same amount of air mass moving through a larger volume.

If you're dead set on replacing your turbo/intercooler plumbing -
http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_472&products_id=3331

But IMO it's not worth it unless you're going to be running a more significant amount of power (Stage 3-5), and even then it's probably not necassary, i'm just doing it because I wanted too, and I would like not to worry about bursting rubber pipes.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
michaLcoughliN said:
and this is off what model of saab? and what year
He has a Viggen, and was using T7 engine management for a while, then switched to a Nira aftermarket system. In both cases, he used the stock T7 intake piping.

As far as the IC piping goes, the model and year don't matter.

T8 monitors airmass in much the same was at T7, so the engine management isn't an issue. If anything, T8 is less receptive to pre-combustion mods than T7, so there's even less rationale for doing it.

With an 03-06 SS, there are multiple things to consider before doing something likely to induce lag...

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
i was looking at blouche turbos, they actuallly bore out stock turbo, change the turbine etc etc, for our saabs.

which would defintely help, but, these cars love to throw codes so im wondering, with stage 3 obviously the parameters are changed through the bsr, do you think with a change of the turbo would still throw codes??

or do they have direct bolt on turbos??

http://blouchturbo.com/

Let Blouch Performance Turbo breathe new life into your Saab 9.3 with a custom Mitsubishi 19T compressor upgrade with 310 HP potential. If it’s time to freshen up that tired Mitsubishi TD04 turbo, Blouch Performance Turbo specializes in performance turbo rebuilds and will disassemble your rebuildable core (required) and provide a parts and labor estimate free of charge to rebuild your turbocharger with the latest in TD04 Extreme duty thrust bearing designs in addition to the compressor upgrade. But don’t worry – we will not have your turbo “forever” because we do not outsource our rebuilding and upgrading services - we ARE the source. All necessary machine shop/balance operations required to rebuild and upgrade your turbo are performed in our complete in-house machine shop by experienced machinists to minimize turnaround time and provide you with the highest quality.

Compressor Upgrade Only $295.00
Compressor Upgrade and Rebuild starting at $625.00​

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
I think your linear might have a Garrett, but please check me on that....

I think the Mitsus were on the Arcs and Aeros

So....once you get the new turbo, T8 will hate it because it will produce much, much more airmass than it's programmed to expect.

An ECU reflash will be the next item on the agenda, followed very closely by a new 3" downpipe....

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i was going to go for stage 3 setup first but was wondering if i throw a turbo upgrade in the mix, would it still throw codes??

does the stage 3 allows the parameters for more airflow? has anyone tried.

ive only seen stage 5 offer a turbo upgrade =/ mnaybe ecu programming wont allow the change.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts