SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[ Copied from this thread at CCSW... ]

Ok I've started some initial trial fitting work to see what will need to move, etc. and so far I've found that the horn on the left side and the fuel vapour line (a piece of hard nylon line) from the charcoal cannister both get in the way of where the intercooler will sit.

I'm in the process of sorting out a different want to mount the horn, but the fuel vapour line is a worry since there isn't really another place to route it and the only option might be to completely replace the line with so I can bend it differently and not interfere with the location of the intercooler.

The engine oil cooler lines do definitely get in the way too - I found a copy of Mark Jeter's 8V turbo intercooler guide and he mentions that the oil cooler lines need to be extended to 47" and 48" respectively (basically to make them 4' or approximately 120 cm long) so the oil cooler can be shifted to the right side of the radiator support member.

Other than that, and the fact I'm missing the pipe that should go from the outlet side of the air filter box the turbo's air inlet port, and the mounting hardware for the intercooler, I'm ready to get it all installed!

Apparently the filter box to turbo air pipe (metal pipe instead of plastic) from a 99 turbo fits perfectly for replacing the plastic and rather convoluted air pipe used with the 8V turbo c900's.

I also don't have a replacement for the lower radiator hose. In my car's case, it has an auto transmission so I suspect the only hoses that suit (mentioned in Mark's guide) are designed for cars with manual tranmissions. Will need to research this aspect some more and see if there is a real Saab hose that will do the job, or I'll need to fab something using plain hose, etc.

Who can recommend some ideas regarding the hose issue? I am going to buy a new radiator for the car so if I can figure out what to do with the bottom hose running from the radiator to the water pump via the in-line ATF cooler, I can take care of that at the same time as sorting out the radiator problem.

Craig.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Moved along with planning a little for this now that I know how long the engine oil cooler hoses need to be, and I'm trying to track down the air pipe from a 99 turbo which goes from the air filter to the turbo's cold-air intake port. Apparently the 99 turbo's have a metal pipe for this which reportedly is a perfect fit for 8V c900's as well (except c900's have that horrible convoluted plastic thing that doesn't mate properly with the rubber snorkel and breaks at the ends).

Is anyone aware where one (or more!) of those pipes can be tracked down?

Note that I already have these pipes:

http://www.classicsaab.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=9552

so that's fine. It's the other pipe I'm after now to replace the horrible plastic one that's fitted to the 8V turbo's as standard to clear the cast-aluminium pipe going from the 'compressed' air output of the turbo to the throttle valve (which is what the intercooler and pics from the link above replace).

Regards,

Craig.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ejenner said:
couldn't you use the oil-cooler lines from a car that came with an intercooler already installed?

And why not go straight for a front-mounted intercooler?
Both good points. I removed the engine oil cooler from my 83 turbo car today as my wife and I are currently stripping it so the body can be disposed of ASAP. So I have a reference to use for making up new, longer, lines if need-be.

But yes that would be the best way - to get some engine oil cooler lines from a T16 car or source new versions of the same. I don't know if the connections to the oil cooler on the 16V turbos are the same as for the smaller oil cooler on the 8V turbos - maybe someone knows?

As for an FMIC, I am almost decided on doing that at least for the 81 turbo since I've removed all of it's A/C equipment except for the evaporator (but I've got a genuine new Saab cabin filter and cover coming to take care of that!), and there's plenty of room for a front-mounted IC. I need to see about the one Vince Tong sells and check if it would fit. I don't want to be chopping away at the radiator support to get pipes to fit but there might not be a lot of choice as the car has euro-spec headlights (all Aus c900's did from the outset) though I'm sure something can be arranged to run pipes where they need to go without structural hacks.

An FMIC would also avoid the heat-soak problem that I'm aware of with anything in the engine bay. The 8V's engine gets HOT (not helped by the blocked radiator that I haven't replaced as yet).

I might stick with a stock T16 turbo in the 16V n/a car when I add a turbo to it as I have one of the last version of the T16 intercooler with the plastic top and bottom parts and 10 much wider channels instead of 15 smaller ones in the two earlier versions.

Craig.

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
15-channel is more restrictive but that has the benefit of dividing the air into smaller sections and that can be cooled better. Got to weigh-up the pressure-drop v.s. additional cooling benefits of the 15-channel. Would be nice to scientifically proove which is best. Although... has to be said, neither is going to be that good. Not unless they're mounted up front. The fact that the air has to loop 180-degrees through the cooler isn't as bad as people think. It's good to have a bit of restriction to make sure the air has time to cool. However... too much restriction means you need to turn up the boost... when you turn up the boost everything gets hotter so you're still loosing...!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts