1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
692 Posts
I usually work out total 'volume' as a guestimate

The uprated Saab I/C is 20 x 15 x 2 = 600

The one you show is 8 x 22 x 3.5 = 616

This totally ignores things like flow vs cooling (number of bars and how thick they are) but like for like this I/C will do well.

Having 3.5" thick is not as good as a bigger thinner one (you can imagine the air is warmed by the time it gets to the back of the I/C ) but you are fitting it in a great position low down and with cool air so will more than compensate.

Net (imho!) : Same if not better than the drop in Saab upgrade items

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer!
Cool, then Ill probably snatch it, seems reasonable:)))
I always thought though that thicker is better, cause you get "air in the IC" for longer period of time. But that was just my intuition:)))

Thanks,

Klim

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
skint said:
I usually work out total 'volume' as a guestimate

The uprated Saab I/C is 20 x 15 x 2 = 600

The one you show is 8 x 22 x 3.5 = 616

This totally ignores things like flow vs cooling (number of bars and how thick they are) but like for like this I/C will do well.

Having 3.5" thick is not as good as a bigger thinner one (you can imagine the air is warmed by the time it gets to the back of the I/C ) but you are fitting it in a great position low down and with cool air so will more than compensate.

Net (imho!) : Same if not better than the drop in Saab upgrade items
Yea, my ng900 ic is bigger than that... If you are going to put a large one on there, do it right and get one the same height and weidth, but make it 3 to 3.5" thick. The thicker cores usually flow a little better since the inner tubes are larger. That is the case with the cores I get anyway.

If you are keeping you're ac condenser you have to modify that so its behind the ic or use an ic that is no more than about 2" thick...

John

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
28" OAL with horizontal side outlets, you,ll struggle to fit that inside a 9000 & keep nice long smooth radius bends. about 24" OAL is workable & IMO 2 1/2" outlets better than 3" ( again for the bends)

try "justintercoolers" via badbay, I got one that is aprox 23" OAL, 2 1/2" pipes, 3" thick - the matrix is aprox 18" x 3" x 12" if I can remember - cost is less than you quote & it works / fits a treat

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!
The thing is that I can't afford a full IC like the ones from maptun, SAS, etc...
But I DO want my stage 3 to perform constantly, not only first 5 minutes or when the outside temps are below 50F:((((
For a while I want to invest into a new 6 speed tranny, clutch, suspension, etc.
That will take a while for me.
So, I will only need the full IC like in a year or so...:(

Ill give justintercoolers a try!

Thanks,

Klim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts