SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine was suggesting running water (or water meth) injection in my car, but i told him that the ECU will freak out if it sees anything other than fuel and air coming into the cylinder (maybe this is for t8?). Then he suggested using water injection to spray the intercooler...

Has anyone done this? I cant imagine there would be anything damaging to the car with this setup, all it is is spraying water. my biggest problem is that the car will heat soak pretty fast even with a FMIC, in 90-100* weather and i think there is some power to be had there.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
U can do meth, just use a low alcohol mix if u don't want it to affect you a/f's.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
adding water spray on the ic can cause lower temps, but i think the best way to go about it is actually c02 spray or nos spray. It chills down to sub zero temps and it only takes a quick shot to cool the metal down, assuming you only need this feature for short stints or burst of power and efficiency i think it would be a better option. Of course you could do either or both, but c02 would give a colder shot but water would last longer but would not be anywhere near as effective.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why not just upgrade the intercooler?
i did already lol

regardless of whether the intercooler is big or not, it will get hot sitting on asphalt in traffic, or in the staging area. last time i was at the drag strip, the IATs would be around 118*F just because the car would be sitting before taking off.

i had considered using like a CRYO2 system or something, I'm just worried about the motor ingesting CO2 which is not good for it.

JN2, if i was to do an actual water-alcohol injection, I would probably want it to be a very short duration and small spray right? I really don't want to have to tune for it, or if I did tune for it, I would rather not have to carry my laptop with me every time i run out of alcohol.

I'm fully aware of the fact that water (even ice water) will not be as effective as either injection or co2, but the rig is cheap, and easy to do. Maybe I should just go ahead and do it, and report back. when I do I'll make sure to get some spray no spray comparison times from the track (it will only be 1/8th mile though)

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
i did already lol

regardless of whether the intercooler is big or not, it will get hot sitting on asphalt in traffic, or in the staging area. last time i was at the drag strip, the IATs would be around 118*F just because the car would be sitting before taking off.

i had considered using like a CRYO2 system or something, I'm just worried about the motor ingesting CO2 which is not good for it.

JN2, if i was to do an actual water-alcohol injection, I would probably want it to be a very short duration and small spray right? I really don't want to have to tune for it, or if I did tune for it, I would rather not have to carry my laptop with me every time i run out of alcohol.

I'm fully aware of the fact that water (even ice water) will not be as effective as either injection or co2, but the rig is cheap, and easy to do. Maybe I should just go ahead and do it, and report back. when I do I'll make sure to get some spray no spray comparison times from the track (it will only be 1/8th mile though)
c02 wolnt really get injested into your engine it dissipates into the air rather quick. i wouldnt be concerned with any of those issues, the air will blow if through the radiator and under the motor.

oh and as for cost co2 is not too bad in pricing you just need a 30 dollar nos solenoid a 20 dollar paintball c02 tank and some hose.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
adding water spray on the ic can cause lower temps, but i think the best way to go about it is actually c02 spray or nos spray. It chills down to sub zero temps and it only takes a quick shot to cool the metal down, assuming you only need this feature for short stints or burst of power and efficiency i think it would be a better option. Of course you could do either or both, but c02 would give a colder shot but water would last longer but would not be anywhere near as effective.
That's for the fast and furious crowd. Besides water is cheap compared to c02 and n2o.

Water on the IC works great. Stage 2 and 3 for the neon srt-4 had intercooler sprayers and it helped to lower intake temps quite a bit. Heres a video of it

You want a kit that will spray a very fine mist like that one.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
U'd so get kicked off the lanes if they saw you sprayer water down the strip. Meth into the charge pipe sounds better

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

Enjoy the vid...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i don't really want to do watermeth because i have to tune for it. i'll ask brian if he's done a setup like that before, but i'm not particularly optimistic. the reason i was thinking of water is i dont have to tune for it, and water is cheap. Co2 is cheap, but contents idk if they would look at me any different if a white cloud was coming from the front of my car.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
i don't really want to do watermeth because i have to tune for it. i'll ask brian if he's done a setup like that before, but i'm not particularly optimistic. the reason i was thinking of water is i dont have to tune for it, and water is cheap. Co2 is cheap, but contents idk if they would look at me any different if a white cloud was coming from the front of my car.
you spray c02 before you you even roll up, it will freeze the core progressively, and you dont have to rely on the wind running though your intercooler to cool down the air charge so you will get the advantages off the line.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If your goal is to ONLY lower IAT2's than don't spray a 50/50 mix. Straight washer fluid has enough alcohol to cool down your air temps w/out raising your a/f's.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If your goal is to ONLY lower IAT2's than don't spray a 50/50 mix. Straight washer fluid has enough alcohol to cool down your air temps w/out raising your a/f's.
do you mean this for the water injection into the charge piping or for the sprayer for the intercooler? there are quite a few advantages to watermeth, and brian is working on tuning for it on his cruz project car.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
This is spraying into your cold charge pipe. -30* washer fluid has enough alchohol in it. I may go this route on the 19t depending on how iat2's look. Lower charge temp+e85 should make nice power...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts