SaabCentral Forums banner

Intercooler Position

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  XAAMOTTOMAAX 
#1 ·
Hi

Currently I have Maptun Stage 3 on my 04 95 aero.

Now I am going to replace the intercooler and intake pipe.

My questions are:

1. Has anybody replaced the intake pipe (Abbott big intake or Maptun replacement) and what performance benefits have you noticed with this modification alone?

2. I see that Chris95 and somebody else in the states have installed a new intercooler right at the front of the car instead of its exist stock sandwiched position.

I have spoke to a few people on this and am getting conflicting advice namely:

- better to have intercooler right at front as gets the colder air to it
- intercooler at the front means adjusting the pipework (introducing more bends) which could affect airflow

Maptun and Abbott and probably other tuners as well replace their intercoolers in stock location with their upgrades.

In summary, I do actually think that putting right at front is best although I dont really want the expense of modding the pipework etc and not really sure whether there will be any noticeable difference between stock and front location. What are your thoughts. appologies as I am not very techy!

Will Maptun still claim their stage 4 figures (when I get rest of mods done) if I install abbott intercooler and big intake instead of their products?

regards

See less See more
G
#2 ·
mushdaffer said:
Hi

Currently I have Maptun Stage 3 on my 04 95 aero.
Now I am going to replace the intercooler and intake pipe.
My questions are:
1. Has anybody replaced the intake pipe (Abbott big intake or Maptun replacement) and what performance benefits have you noticed with this modification alone?
2. I see that Chris95 and somebody else in the states have installed a new intercooler right at the front of the car instead of its exist stock sandwiched position.
I have spoke to a few people on this and am getting conflicting advice namely:
- better to have intercooler right at front as gets the colder air to it
- intercooler at the front means adjusting the pipework (introducing more bends) which could affect airflow
Maptun and Abbott and probably other tuners as well replace their intercoolers in stock location with their upgrades.
In summary, I do actually think that putting right at front is best although I dont really want the expense of modding the pipework etc and not really sure whether there will be any noticeable difference between stock and front location. What are your thoughts. appologies as I am not very techy!
Will Maptun still claim their stage 4 figures (when I get rest of mods done) if I install abbott intercooler and big intake instead of their products?

regards
I/ Yes I have the Abbott intake pipe. I think for a standard 9-5 you wouldnt really notice a difference. However in your car you will notice a little power improvement but only small. However your spool up will be marginaly better. (However I believe this step is important when upgrading intercooler, delivery pipe etc.)
2/ Chris has the FMIC and I have the Abbott replacement. The Abbott is basicaly a drop in replacement. However Chris's does require some additional pipes and some brackets. However the I/C he used is available for under £200. The FMIC does look cool and it also frees a space where the old IC was. My personal believe is that the Abbott one has a slightly better cooling ability. To quantify this I certainly dont get any boost backoff ever.. However on non track day use I dont recon you would feel the difference between the two. You pays your money and make your choice.

If you already have a bigger delivery pipe and induction kit on your car, the difference when you fit a race intercooler will be quite impressive. :)

#3 ·
Finn said:
My personal believe is that the Abbott one has a slightly better cooling ability. .. . :)
How can you possibly claim this? When did you take any readings from my car?

#5 ·
The problem with direct fit IC's is that in the summertime when it is hot as hades, the a/c is typically ran (of course you don't know the heat of hades in the Isles like we do in the SE US). This creates more heat and accelerates the heatsoak of the intercooler on these hot days since it is sandwiched in there between the a/c and the radiator. In these instances, the front mount would surely cool better because of it's location. If the a/c is not on, the direct fit upgrade such as Abbott provides more surface area for cooling and under these circumstances should cool at least as good if not better than the front mount jobbie. As for flow, the front mount increases the piping width and has much larger inlets and outlets that should nullify any flow losses from piping angles and such. The front mounted IC is not as simple as an install as I orignally thought (possibly different and more complicated for post 2002 9-5's). You will surely want to have someone very skilled with both 9-5's and custom fabrication do the job for you if you go that route.

#8 · (Edited)
Andyaero said:
Chris the photos of your IC installation look the biz, for a £200 product it certainly looks quality and the blue samco hoses just top it off:cool: ?
Thanks but the Intercooler was £135 delivered actually ;)

Andyaero said:
So Finn, what does the Abbott set up look like, same kinda high quality? Any pics?
???????????

Chris - Glad the PM helped buddy ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.