SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty large intercooler i "aquired" from a volvo and i had it tested and cleaned and it holds pressure without leaks. I know how to put it on and what it takes to get it on right, my next problem is where the heck im going to get the aluminum pipe to do it. Alot of the guys around jacksonville, nc use exhaust pipe with mandral bends and i don't like that because i would think it would tranfer to much heat and it j ust looks like dog poop. Any ideas where to get some aluminum pipe? Someone told me try pvc pipe. Might work for the intake and after intercooler piping, but temperatures straight off the turbo might be a much. Be cheap though :eek:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would make my life ridiculously easy. Well the piping part, removing the bumper and getting it on there might be a different story :cheesy: one problem solved at least. And 100 bucks for everything is alot cheaper then the 400 dollars this guy was trying to charge me to madral bend regular exhaust pipe i told him he was a crazier then a sh*t house rat and he needed to get "bent" himself lol. Thanks for the link i appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
saab900turboguy said:
That would make my life ridiculously easy. Well the piping part, removing the bumper and getting it on there might be a different story :cheesy: one problem solved at least. And 100 bucks for everything is alot cheaper then the 400 dollars this guy was trying to charge me to madral bend regular exhaust pipe i told him he was a crazier then a sh*t house rat and he needed to get "bent" himself lol. Thanks for the link i appreciate it.
It's not that hard - just takes time (a couple hours). Did you get the volvo IC with the outlets that face backwards? I have that one, it wasn't too bad to install. Most people go under the car with the piping for that one, but I went under the headlights. For the former, you'll need to clock the turbo downwards and customize a WGA bracket from a 9000 in order to get everything to fit and minimize piping. Search for "volvo fmic" in this forum/project forum - there are a lot of posts on it. For the way I did it, you will need more 90 degree couplers - it is not an ideal approach, I just didn't want to go under the car :lol:

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Didnt realize you were in Cracksonville. I brough my car to Jak Stoll Performance and had him do up my car. It moves quicker than a sinner in Hell with gasoline dripping off his back. Might be worth it to call him up to see what he has to say.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Calbob said:
What size is our IC piping, 2.5, 3 inch?
It varies on the stock setup:

Turbo to IC - 2" on turbo side with reducing coupler on the other end to ~2.5" (slightly less) IC opening.

IC to TB - pipe is slightly less than 2.5" on one side, closer to 3" on the other iirc

2.5" is a good size to upgrade to, I think if I ever for some reason went back to a stock IC I would use bigger pipes. You don't want them bigger though unless you are getting some serious power - then it would just be too much volume of pipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts