SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello in attempts to lower my AIT on hot days like today i would like to ask what you guys do or have done to the help try and lower AIT, ive been reading about wrapping the pipe form the TB to IC, and downpipe and ect, and i keep getting mixed opions people saying its good idea and bad. I dont really want to wrap my dp because people say it can cause it to crack and i spent to much to crack that pipe! ive been leaning toward the TB to IC pipe since its so close to the engine. If I did that would I want to use exhuast heat wrap or is that not what i wanna use on that pipe? and what about hi temp silicone spary to protect it from moisture? also what about wrapping the actual intercooler hoses? do i not want to wrap the intake side at all, or do i want to try and wrap as much of the intake system to the TB as I can? And this will sound dumb but i am confused to what is the cold and hot side of the IC, i would think that the cold side would be after it goes threw the IC, but have read things to make me think its the intake side, so if someone could clear that up for me thatd be great and one more thing, if anyone knows any other tips to cooling the intake system that i didnt mention please let me know.
thank you

·
Registered
316 Posts
First if your car has the metal pipe to the throttlebody then wrapping will help a little. Also remove the hood insulation and delete the coolant lines at the throttlebody. The coolant bypass will do the most. You also could try to lift the rear of the hood to have the hood act more like a cowl induction hood. But not much testing has been done to prove this helps on these cars.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Something like this?

http://www.mishimoto.com/heat-defense-reflective-tape-15.html

I know people have used like air duct heat protective wrapping on their ic pipe, i thought about doing the same, but eh, i don't need to do it...yet.

ive seen these too..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-Re...es&hash=item256e302e8f&vxp=mtr#ht_5413wt_1163

i put spacers between where my hood bolts to raise the back of the hood a tad to try to increase flow, does i work.. i donno...probably not. do i like the look if it?l? heck yes, do other people notice... if they know what the difference is.

Silicone absorbs and dissipates heat very well.

hop on google, get involved with a forum dealing with rallying, auto x, drifting, drag racing, people think of CRAZY ideas, you are limiting you self if you just sit here and get our opinion there are numerous people doing what we do, just because its not a saab doesn't mean you cant apply the same concept to the turbo. an idea is an idea some good, some amazing and some its hard to look at sometimes.

Lmk what you find.;ol;
Tp

·
Registered
423 Posts
First if your car has the metal pipe to the throttlebody then wrapping will help a little. Also remove the hood insulation and delete the coolant lines at the throttlebody. The coolant bypass will do the most. You also could try to lift the rear of the hood to have the hood act more like a cowl induction hood. But not much testing has been done to prove this helps on these cars.
wow... took me like 20 minutes to type that because i've been eating... I missed the coolant lines (which ive done) hood insulation, and I didnt even see your post till i posted mine.... about the raising of the hood... ttoooo coool! and another thing

I removed the foam like stuff on the fire wall, It increased engine noise a bit and the stuff is kinda heavy! it had soaked up a quite a bit of oil dirt and junk coolant what have you so i dropped maybe about 5-6 lbs if that.

Bogan had a cool idea with the Ducting from the fog light going up to the intake cone, Also there is a ghetto intake thread around here.... somewhere

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
The coolant bypass does NOT make a difference. It just doesn't get hot enough there while the car is running. I had a thread awhile back where I hooked a temp gauge up and tested various things including the TB, and intake elbow. Only time they get really hot is when you turn the car off and wait 10 minutes.

If you want cooler intake temps, unbolt the charge pipe where it connects to the head. That actually adds heat to the pipe as it was an area I tested. It was something like 60-70 degrees HOTTER than the throttle body WITH coolant lines still hooked up! If anything, wrap the exhaust pipe leaving the turbo as it's heat can radiate upwards towards the charge pipe.

The next thing would be to get the biggest 3" thick FMIC you can get to fit. If you remove/relocate some AC stuff, you can get a fairly tall intercooler. That's your best bet for cooler charge air on hot days.

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
You could swap a t7 type (plastic) intake pipe in for a t5 metal pipe. It would not be a direct swap, you'd need to engineer the TB end to connect to the T5 cast elbow, but it's probably not too difficult.

There have been some fog light intakes done, direct to the stock airbox with or w/o K&N. The danger is that you hit water and get hydrolock. Still, I think an intake that at least pulls air from behind the headlight would be preferable to a open air filter in the engine compartment which can only suck hot air.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The coolant bypass does NOT make a difference. It just doesn't get hot enough there while the car is running. I had a thread awhile back where I hooked a temp gauge up and tested various things including the TB, and intake elbow. Only time they get really hot is when you turn the car off and wait 10 minutes.

If you want cooler intake temps, unbolt the charge pipe where it connects to the head. That actually adds heat to the pipe as it was an area I tested. It was something like 60-70 degrees HOTTER than the throttle body WITH coolant lines still hooked up! If anything, wrap the exhaust pipe leaving the turbo as it's heat can radiate upwards towards the charge pipe.

The next thing would be to get the biggest 3" thick FMIC you can get to fit. If you remove/relocate some AC stuff, you can get a fairly tall intercooler. That's your best bet for cooler charge air on hot days.
well i have the ets IC and "If you want cooler intake temps, unbolt the charge pipe where it connects to the head." please explain in a lil more detail im a lil confused on what you me mean please, and i dont want to wrap my dp because ppl say it can cause them to crack and raise egt? and the coolant bypass thing really doesnt help at all?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Something like this?

http://www.mishimoto.com/heat-defense-reflective-tape-15.html

I know people have used like air duct heat protective wrapping on their ic pipe, i thought about doing the same, but eh, i don't need to do it...yet.

ive seen these too..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-Re...es&hash=item256e302e8f&vxp=mtr#ht_5413wt_1163

i put spacers between where my hood bolts to raise the back of the hood a tad to try to increase flow, does i work.. i donno...probably not. do i like the look if it?l? heck yes, do other people notice... if they know what the difference is.

Silicone absorbs and dissipates heat very well.

hop on google, get involved with a forum dealing with rallying, auto x, drifting, drag racing, people think of CRAZY ideas, you are limiting you self if you just sit here and get our opinion there are numerous people doing what we do, just because its not a saab doesn't mean you cant apply the same concept to the turbo. an idea is an idea some good, some amazing and some its hard to look at sometimes.

Lmk what you find.;ol;
Tp[/QUOTE

I like the tape idea but that turbo blanket I would be worried that it could make my turbo not last as long bc wouldn't it get hotter and be able to cool as easily and ur right I'm gonna have to search some other forums for more ideas

·
Registered
423 Posts
Welp this is some updates on what i just did

i broke off that bracket that bolts to the block

Picture of the heat reflective wrap i used, this is the underside.

self explanatory...

how it looks installed

My extra on a 15ft roll.

just kinda picked a spot and slapped it on.. haha, really not enough to start on anything else...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts