SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that my BSR tuned 2009 2.0T (stage 1) is significantly slower in the warmer months. While this effect of warmer air is obvious on turbocharged vehicles, would there be any benefit in replacing the stock intercooler? Maybe someone can speak from experience? Not really sure if heatsoak is an issue on these cars. I had an ETS on my stage 4 9000 Aero and it made a substantial difference in the summer.

Would I potentially see a power increase with a different intercooler?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Heatsoak can be an issue. The stock intercooler sucks for tuned applications. An upgraded intercooler would be beneficial but will not add power, it will just help prevent heat soak and help keep the power you already have, basically aiding in preventing the power loss caused by the stock set up in really hot months.

·
Super Moderator
9,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heatsoak can be an issue. The stock intercooler sucks for tuned applications. An upgraded intercooler would be beneficial but will not add power, it will just help prevent heat soak and help keep the power you already have, basically aiding in preventing the power loss caused by the stock set up in really hot months.
Sorry, that's what I meant. So in the summertime, an upgraded intercooler will maintain the power levels that I normally see in colder months?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sorry, that's what I meant. So in the summertime, an upgraded intercooler will maintain the power levels that I normally see in colder months?
I wouldn't say it will identically match colder month power as you cannot completely escape summer heat, but it will lessen heat soak which will seem to solve your problem, so in essence it should make it feel faster compared to the stock intercooler especially after long drives or times when you rag on it.

·
Super Moderator
9,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't say it will identically match colder month power as you cannot completely escape summer heat, but it will lessen heat soak which will seem to solve your problem, so in essence it should make it feel faster compared to the stock intercooler especially after long drives or times when you rag on it.
Gotcha, thanks.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Gotcha, thanks.
I'm jzw stage 3 tuned.

I was on a stock intercooler running 25psi.

After one pull you could feel a power loss. Heat soak is a killer.

I order the 27x10x3 2.5 inlet/outlet cx racing FMIC and a universal 2.5" piping kit from ebay.

I also ordered a 2.75 to 2.5" 90deg reducer, a 2.5 to 2.25 straight reducer and making a hard piping kit. (from extremepsi)

The combination of those to provided good results. After multiple pulls, I can grab my piping and its not even hot. Heat kills performance. I noticed a 2 psi increase with no lag.

·
Super Moderator
9,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the insight, I may have to pick one up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts