SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody guide me on which is the best? Performance/quality/price?

I'm doubting which one to buy, there is a big tag difference for me, one will be around € 320.00 (MP) and the other at € 450.00 (ETS).

I want to know if its worth it and what are the advantages/disatvantages of each.

Thak you all for your valuable experience and help.. ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
fromero said:

I'm doubting which one to buy, there is a big tag difference for me, one will be around € 320.00 (MP) and the other at € 450.00 (ETS).

I want to know if its worth it and what are the advantages/disatvantages of each.

I've got the MP and there are no disadvantages except that there is no mount point for the bolts like stock, and you will need to zip tie it up, but I think all the aftermarket units are like that. It is good quality, and good price, and I've had no heatsoak issues in the california desert since, turbo stays nice and strong.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I am not familiar with ETC and I doubt that you'll find someone who has experience with both of these units so the comparison will be difficult.

I too have an MP and I was very impressed at it's build quality.....very nice unit. Installation was very easy....it fit perfectly where the old unit was, and like previously mentioned, there are no mounting flanges. No problem, I didn't even need tie-wraps, just some weather stripping foam here and there and it doesn't move.

Performance wise I noticed a difference immediately....turbo spools up faster, but more noticably, the car pulls right up to red line in stead of dropping off 1000 RMP before. Adding a 3" DP really completed the picture!

Best of luck,
Robert

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
fromero said:

I have the ets and actually came up with it for ets. Its goal was to be the largerst ic you can fit without removing the ac. It does that and its a very nice core and has 2.5" inlet/outlet tubes and has more area and volume than the others. If you plan to upgrade past stage 3 at some point, its a good core to have. I had one about the same size as mp's, but when I went with a larger turbo I had to come up with a larger ic.

Pm me and I will give you some other details on this ic...

John

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
John Z Williams said:
I have the ets and actually came up with it for ets. Its goal was to be the largerst ic you can fit without removing the ac. It does that and its a very nice core and has 2.5" inlet/outlet tubes and has more area and volume than the others. If you plan to upgrade past stage 3 at some point, its a good core to have. I had one about the same size as mp's, but when I went with a larger turbo I had to come up with a larger ic.

Pm me and I will give you some other details on this ic...

John
Wait, are you saying you designed it?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yeah the ETS is the way to go. Biggest you can put in there with a/c and lowest price out of all the bigger ones.Installing mine now-appears to be built with high quality components and leaves room for further growth if you decide to go even bigger later on.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Just remember that biggest is maybe not always the best.
Some data of air temps, efficiency and so on with both coolers would be ideal info but noone seems to be interested in providing these, not even the manufacturers?:roll:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A12, you're telling me the ETS is the way to go, but you have an MP IC, you're not happy with it? any issues?
:roll:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
pade900 said:
Some data of air temps, efficiency and so on with both coolers would be ideal info but noone seems to be interested in providing these, not even the manufacturers?:roll:
Agreed....this keeps coming up....'right sized' vs. 'bigger is better'.

I for one would look to what Abbott (they wrote the book on Saab tuning) does and not go bigger (that's one reason I chose MP). That, or do lots more research on IC size and the HP you want to achieve in the future.

Best of luck,
Robert

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
You can go too big, but there is not enough room on our ng900's and saab 9-3's, I tried the smaller mp size or abbott size, the bigger one is better in this case hands down... Holds boost longer and the power is available longer. I tride 3 diffferent sizes as we came up with the ideal core. The viggen was good for 1 wot pull... Mp size was good for up to around 3 wot pulls and the ets core that I helped come up with was good to around 5 wot pulls:cool:

John

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
pade900 said:
Tried the size of mp's, it did good and would be fine for stage 3ish, but if you ever plan to go beyond that, the larger core is better. You are right you can go too big, but not on our saab's with ac, there is just not enough room. I went through 3 different sizes, the largest one you can fit gave the best efficiency and I am gathering data on the core now!

John

·
Registered
597 Posts
I second John's comments above, I have a stage 3 with an MP intercooler and am regretting not going bigger. In the warmer months of the year I can easily heat soak the MP after a few hard pulls.

·
Registered
464 Posts
fromero said:
A12, you're telling me the ETS is the way to go, but you have an MP IC, you're not happy with it? any issues?
:roll:
The mp is also made well (nice welds, etc.), but let me just say this:
I had done a little sanding and polishing of the ETS inlet/outlet (casting was a bit rough inside the end tank inlets and outlets, just wanted to cleanem up a little bit), so I used a Craftsmen shop vac to get all the debris out of the intercooler when done. I held the shop vac hose over the inlet to the ETS intercooler and sealed the open edges with my hand. The shop vac had almost no change in compressor speed. I did the same with the MP intercooler and there was a noticeable change in shop vac compressor rpm. It had to try a lot harder to get the air through there. Mind you this is not a very accurate test, but does say a lot about the flow difference. I am sure the MP is still an upgrade compared to stock or viggen intercoolers, but from my experience the ETS will flow way more air. I will be selling my MP intercooler soon if anybody is interested. Should be good for about 300 hp. If goals are more than that I would go with the ETS. Best bang for the buck. Talk to JZW, he might be able to save you some $.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A12 said:
The mp is also made well (nice welds, etc.), but let me just say this:
I had done a little sanding and polishing of the ETS inlet/outlet (casting was a bit rough inside the end tank inlets and outlets, just wanted to cleanem up a little bit), so I used a Craftsmen shop vac to get all the debris out of the intercooler when done. I held the shop vac hose over the inlet to the ETS intercooler and sealed the open edges with my hand. The shop vac had almost no change in compressor speed. I did the same with the MP intercooler and there was a noticeable change in shop vac compressor rpm. It had to try a lot harder to get the air through there. Mind you this is not a very accurate test, but does say a lot about the flow difference. I am sure the MP is still an upgrade compared to stock or viggen intercoolers, but from my experience the ETS will flow way more air. I will be selling my MP intercooler soon if anybody is interested. Should be good for about 300 hp. If goals are more than that I would go with the ETS. Best bang for the buck. Talk to JZW, he might be able to save you some $.
I'll buy it from you. LMK when you are going to sell it

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I think the thing that is being missed here is the size of the IC paired with the size of turbo. Balancing these two will yeild be results. With a larger IC on a turbo that doesn't move enough air you can get a signifigant pressure drop over the IC.

fromero IIRC you are on a tuned t25 yes? Hence your high TQ lower HP #'s...? I would say stick w/ a MP for your current setup and it should work fine even if you upgrade that turbo. Yes, the ETS is bigger but I would only recommend that if you are going to go all out like our freind JZW here. 1 part is not the factor it's the whole package that makes the car. You must choose what is realistic for you. This is how I see things.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Thats it.... I'm selling mine too. Anyone who wants an MP i/c in perfect condition, PM me.

I'm looking at a stg. 4 soon, so I want the most efficiency I can find.

I would like to see some test results though, comparing the two, if anyone has the wherewithal to do it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On the banner, on this same page??

1 - 20 of 63 Posts