SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the car & understood that it would come equipped with OnStar but when it arrived it didn't have it so the salesman said he could get "Guide Point" installed & it was similar. Of course, it isn't, because it doesn't have the phone capability. I have been trying for months to find out how to get the steeringwheel & dash buttons to get connected to a cell phone (not yet installed) so I can go hands free. The local dealer says it can't be done because when you squeeze the shark tooth it's empty (so therefore not wired for phone I am told). I can't believe that in this day & age that I can't get a phone installed & connected to the dash! Why did the car come with the "infotainment" system if I can't use a phone thru it? The dealer I bought the car from couldn't be less interested. My local dealer has never had anyone make this request & says it can't be done tho. The phone folks say call the dealer. This is ridiculous. Can anyone help me? Thanx so much!
PS I am not handy enuf to do this myself I don't think...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It can be done if you live in Europe - instead of OnStar those cars come with (I think) TEL1 which consists of a prewired connector which allows you to connect to a hands-free kit the the car, but doesn't enable the steering wheel controls beyond volume and source. TEL2 is a cooler option that consists of a GSM unit that serves as the car's mobile phone - you just put your phone's SIM card in, or a duplicate SIM card. From what I understand it also allows use of a bluetooth phone or headset to sync with the car. This enables all the features of the Infotainment system as well. The last time I saw a price in AUS $$ it converted to roughly $1400 US, even if it were available. I don't think that even included installation.

There is a cable sold by Etadyne that gives you a pretty good approximation of TEL1 so that the radio/cd/aux will still mute when the phone rings or a call is made, and incoming sound comes out the stereo system. People have used this option to connect Bluetooth kits allowing the use of any Bluetooth phone in the car. I will likely do this before too long. If you search on TEL1 on the other board you can read about it for hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx now what

Thanx so much johnc, I feel hopeful now. I am not in Europe at the moment, darn. Would you be able to suggest where I could go to find someone knowledgable who could do this or at least explore the possibility (electronics place, car audio, etc.)? I very much appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Even if you are able to get the phone unit from Europe or anywhere else in the world it will not work in the US because of the different GSM frequencies used in the US. In Europe and many other countries in the world GSM in-car units support dual-band networks. In any case you are out of luck, sorry ;oops:

·
Registered
143 Posts
icegull said:
Thanx so much johnc, I feel hopeful now. I am not in Europe at the moment, darn. Would you be able to suggest where I could go to find someone knowledgable who could do this or at least explore the possibility (electronics place, car audio, etc.)? I very much appreciate your help.
A high end car audio installer should not have a problem. Print out all the pertinent guides from this forum, have the etadyne cable in hand, have your blue tooth phone / hands free kit picked out and you should be good to go. I have the Parrot CK3100 and am pretty happy with this set up. I really had my heart set on the fully integrated infotainment phone but the blue tooth setup is a very good alternative( for a tenth of the price).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx! I am in Maine so this should be an interesting project... Good to know this forum exists because I am sure I'll be needing it

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I installed my own AUX cable and from what I can tell installing the Etadyne h/f harness and a h/f kit, particularly a Bluetooth unit that doesn't require an external antenna, will be even easier. The hardest part about the AUX kit install was getting the center console trim back in place, particularly the rear section.

You should check out the install guides and see if you think you can handle it yourself, or not . . . depends how comfortable you are with trying things like that yourself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Etadyne

ISn't the Etadyne cable just the AUX in? I already have that on my car if that is the case. This can be used to install a bluetooth device? Can someone please clarify. I do not understand how the AUX in could mute the CD/Radio etc upon an incoming call.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts