SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys, today i took my front bumper off in order to remove the intake snorkel tube ( read about this in a previous thread). the design of our intake snorkel is awful, as the pipe is very restrictive: flattens out and narrows in some parts. the pipe has three parts, it branches from the pipe we see in the engine bay under our intakes to one part goin out by our front grill ( the part of the pipe that flattens out to very small) and another part that goes over our right wheel well. i removed everything but the part that goes over our wheel well because it wouldnt come out, so i cut it separate and removed the other pieces.
ive decided im going to make my own cold air intake now. i have the bsr optiflow but im going to extend it down to where the foglights are. i saved the snorkel piece from the engine bay so i kno how to bend the custom pipe...the only thing in the way of extending the intake is the foglights which im goin to remove because i never use them anyway...so im going to detach the fog lights and cut off the housing which is attached to the bumper. i gotta get the pipe made then do all this so ill let u guys kno how it goes
let me kno what u think

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya im definately going to take some pics and ill post them...

with the CAI and the filter by the bottom of the bottom basically sitting on top of the air diffusers, i have to be cautious about getting it wet/going thru puddles correct? however ive heard that like unless u completly submerge it u shouldnt have to worry

·
Registered
43 Posts
SeanArc said:

with the CAI and the filter by the bottom of the bottom basically sitting on top of the air diffusers, i have to be cautious about getting it wet/going thru puddles correct? however ive heard that like unless u completly submerge it u shouldnt have to worry
Sean, why dont u route some piping from the front way up
to where u BSR optiflow filter sits, maybe 1 cm away. that way u get the best of both worlds and any water that gets sucked up will disperse b4 hitting the optiflow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
SeanArc said:

Thx Sean :cool: Good luck with the CAI :cheesy:

Cheers :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Danger Will Robinson, Danger!!

Keep in mind two very important things when putting an air filter near the ground:
1) It will get very, very dirty and clogged very very quickly. It might get struck and damaged by road debris.
2) During heavy rain, it could ingest water and destroy your engine (hydrolock).

I run an auto shop and I've had a customer replace an engine due to a CAI sucking in water in the rain and the engine hydrolocked. CAI's are really only for those who intend to race or drive on sunny days. Perhaps keeping the air filter in the engine compartment and instead routing a less convoluted tube to an air scoop located inside the lower bumper grille might be a better idea. That way you'll get cold air funneled up to the filter where it will be safe and sound.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
earthdweller-

do u mean not moving the filter or changing the intake at all, just running a tube that will feed air to the intake?

·
Registered
43 Posts
SeanArc said:
earthdweller-

do u mean not moving the filter or changing the intake at all, just running a tube that will feed air to the intake?

If u have the BSR optiflow intake, let it remain BUT as you have alredi removed the restrictive snorkel , route a CAI all the way from the front airdam to the front of the optiflow.
I believe u have to re-route the cAI and not use back the same position as orginal snorkel as there is no room for a CAI pipe.

The only reason why the snorkel is so restrictive is becos they had no room to route it past the bumpers and internal beams.

You have to agree....The squashed part is horribly restrictive and i guess they didnt spend time trying to find some other way other than just to squash it.

engineering... bleah !! :nono;

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright ya thats what ill do...ill just make another CAI pipe as another, much more less restrictive snorkel, that comes from the front air dam up

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yep, that's the way to go. Make a little plastic or metal scoop, paint it black if it isn't already so it'll blend in. Place it behind the lower grille in the bumper, perhaps beside the right fog lamp. Then route a nice, big tube from it up to the airbox where the Optiflow is. This will cause a "ram air" style funnel effect of cold air directly to the optiflow, where it is safe from hazards. Any moisture pushed up through the ram air duct will not make its way into the optiflow. It will still get a bit dirtier than normal, but nothing like what would happen relocating the filter to underneath the car!:cheesy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts