SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to order the abbott intercooler tomorrow.

with regard the intake pipe, I have three options in mind.

Genuine saab £200 incl vat
Abbott £295 + vat
Maptun £260 inclu vat

I am thinking genuine saab because it is cheapest and the three of them look very similar. Does anybody have any thoughts.

Chris95 - thanks for your earlier note

regards
Chris

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I'd agree Chris, the Genuine Saab one especailly now it comes in silver (if you want black I'll swap ya!) :cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The Abbott and Maptun intercoolers are a direct swap for stock ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
mushdaffer said:
Hoping to order the abbott intercooler tomorrow.

with regard the intake pipe, I have three options in mind.

Genuine saab £200 incl vat
Abbott £295 + vat
Maptun £260 inclu vat

I am thinking genuine saab because it is cheapest and the three of them look very similar. Does anybody have any thoughts.

Chris95 - thanks for your earlier note

regards
Chris
i went with the genuinesaab unit......they are now made of stainless, almost too pretty to install. it would also look nice on your mantle. very happy with my decision.
dave

stock aero vs. genuine saab

·
Registered
301 Posts
Raven18940 said:
How is the stock one not a front mount? :confused:
saabnc means this:

abbott intercooler mounts in stock location...sandwiched between ac condenser and radiator........ not optimum for cooling but should be marginally better than stock.

dave

·
Registered
334 Posts
A side mount is literally a side mount which would be located in front of one of the front wheels.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also would like to know what is involved in getting a intercooler like in the picture. Is there some kit available? What benifits would you get out of doing that?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
No kit currently available, you would have to fabricate the pipes and find suitable hoses depending on the FMIC you select. The benefit is a car that runs cooler, hence performs better before heat soak sinks in. You only need the FMIC for highly modded cars, there's little benefit for a standard car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Adapt ECU?

I assume that the intake pipe and intercooler can be fitted without having the ECU tweeked or base boost adjusted? My understanding is that the ECU is mapped to 285bhp and installing these mods will simply make it easier to achieve the mapped curve and hold it longer?

Abbott say they will install both and tweek the Maptun ECU to cater for the hardware changes.

I know Abbott are excerlant but not sure whether I want them tweeking a Maptun ECU but then maybe this is not an issue as they are simply tweeking rather than making major changes.

Advice would be appreciated

?????
regards
Chris

X

·
0 Posts
mushdaffer said:
I assume that the intake pipe and intercooler can be fitted without having the ECU tweeked or base boost adjusted? My understanding is that the ECU is mapped to 285bhp and installing these mods will simply make it easier to achieve the mapped curve and hold it longer?

Abbott say they will install both and tweek the Maptun ECU to cater for the hardware changes.

I know Abbott are excerlant but not sure whether I want them tweeking a Maptun ECU but then maybe this is not an issue as they are simply tweeking rather than making major changes.

Advice would be appreciated

?????
regards
Chris

Chris, Abbotts are my local garage and I use them regularly. They are not the cheapest but they are pretty good. Thier head mech is called Pete. He has spent much time recently upgrading all of Abbotts tuning maps. What they can do is store your old map so if they do anything you dont like (Which I dont recon they would) you could get the ecu flashed back to your current settings..

Finn :)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Finn said:
What they can do is store your old map so if they do anything you dont like (Which I dont recon they would) you could get the ecu flashed back to your current settings..

Finn :)
Thats handy, so they can download and save other tuners maps then :roll:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts