SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two small questions for those of you who really know your v6's. Today I removed my intake manifold, and when I reasembled, two problems arised:
1. My TCS off now lights up and stays on. But I'm certain I reconected everything, so what directly should I look for?
2. There are 7 brass nuts, 6 on the front, and one more from somewhere else. Can anyone remember where? I realize this is kind of a ridicules question but no harm in trying.

Thanks, sometimes I'm lost without this site!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok now I'm really concerened. I took everything off again, double checked everything, then all back on again. Still same problems. TCS off remains on, and the idle is super rough. every connection looks good, no ovious vacum leaks. Is it possible that I need to replace the gasket? Did I bend some wires?

I don't really know what to do, as I need my car to be in top shape by next week for an out of town job...

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Well I don't know my intake manifold THAT well! I guess all I can say is make sure you check and re-check all of the hoses and gaskets. There are alot in and around the throttle body, and it is very easy to put one on, move the manifold into place, and have it slip off. I'd check the hoses on both ends. You can also use a straw or some kind of tube pressed to your ear to poke around and listen for any hissing vacuum leaks.

Good luck!

Tboy

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Not the clearest picture I've taken but below clearly shown is where all 7 of the brass coloured nuts go.

Also note I had the throttle body off but there is still a throttle plate, this is the TCS choke plate, under that section you've probably noticed a motor and a plug going into it, check that connection.

Vac' leaks, two causes that can occur during re assembly both at [the underside of] the throttle body, that white hose to the fuel reg' is one that can come adrift and the other not at all clear in the picture is to the purge valve, this is an 8mm black plastic hose, both can be connected to the throttle body's union but come adrift along there length from the mucking about you've done.

·
Registered
154 Posts
missgoodnight said:
I have two small questions for those of you who really know your v6's. Today I removed my intake manifold, and when I reasembled, two problems arised:
1. My TCS off now lights up and stays on. But I'm certain I reconected everything, so what directly should I look for?
2. There are 7 brass nuts, 6 on the front, and one more from somewhere else. Can anyone remember where? I realize this is kind of a ridicules question but no harm in trying.

Thanks, sometimes I'm lost without this site!
Everytime you remove the inlet manifold You need to replace the paper gasket that goes between the inlet manifold and the lower manifold. you can use instant gasket on it if you are stuck for time.

Underneath the inlet manifold there should be a large black connector that goes to the TCS motor, a smaller black connector that goes to the throttle body (secured by a brass pin) a two pin connector going to the idle air control, aswell as the white straw & purge valve hose indicated in ragtops pic you must have removed the small vent box hose next to the idle air control - this will give a vacuum leak if not secured which would show up as a rough idle - the straw and the purge pipes connect in front of the throttle plate so would not give a vac leak.

at the back of the inlet manifold there is a location strap with a 'L' bracket on - sometimes the manifold is held off if this is not correctly aligned (E10 and 10mm bolts)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the replies! much apreciation.

I will get a new gasket and check everything again.

In my travels(throught the intakemanifold) I discovered a small short hose on the far right hand side that had been broken for some time(thick residue buildup on one side of the break) I replaced this hose but was woundering what it is for. Crankcase breather?? Also, with this hose broken, I would have had a vacume leak for sometimes now. I wonder if the ecu now has to reprogram itself without the extra air circulation? As for the crankcase breather delete, do I just plug the hole going into the intake and run the other end from the engine out to the side?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi, you are correct it is for the crankcase breather, the small hose is for idle speed and the large hose is for when the throttle is open.
If it is blocked you will get oil leaks due to crankcase pressure, if you can't fix it - block the side that goes to the inlet manifold to stop the vac leak - the other side can just vent to atmoshire like we used to do in the old days before all the emision laws

:cheesy:
missgoodnight said:
Thanks so much for the replies! much apreciation.

I will get a new gasket and check everything again.

In my travels(throught the intakemanifold) I discovered a small short hose on the far right hand side that had been broken for some time(thick residue buildup on one side of the break) I replaced this hose but was woundering what it is for. Crankcase breather?? Also, with this hose broken, I would have had a vacume leak for sometimes now. I wonder if the ecu now has to reprogram itself without the extra air circulation? As for the crankcase breather delete, do I just plug the hole going into the intake and run the other end from the engine out to the side?

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
V6man54deg said:
the straw and the purge pipes connect in front of the throttle plate so would not give a vac leak.
How wrong was I ? :eek: , quite right, that bit of plumbing is the wrong side of the throttle plate and will have no effect on idle, Doh!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
ragtopcav said:
How wrong was I ? :eek: , quite right, that bit of plumbing is the wrong side of the throttle plate and will have no effect on idle, Doh!!
Sorry to be a smart **se mate, but Know be V6's - but not very good on Pc'S as my pic hasn't come up ;oops:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Miss Goodnight, you were correct about the "brass appearing" nuts - but these were cadmium plated, not brass - and these two have different applications and torque values.

It pays to ask questions and to be careful at all times..
Are you using the factory paper gaskets or are you using using the "more modern" RTV gasket in a tube ???

I do, at times ,miss working on cars - mine sits a lot, as do I, and nothing even goes wrong with it - she is but 9 years old..

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
More on GM Saab intake manifold gaskets. On the GM forum a debate rages about these gaskets.

GM is having problems here, apparently the aftermarket has introduced an improved product, OEM is a bit slow to pick up on this..
One side says to stick with OEM, the other says that in this case, aftermarket is better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts