SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
cuzt off a section of the snorkel so its wider and then drill some holes...

although its not cold air that matters on a turbo car its just the amount of air.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
togish1 said:
how do u modify the intake airbox on the 97? i would like to get some actual cold air into there
The Saab design is very good and you are getting 'cold' air already. Removing the snorket will get more, but at the price of lots more noise.

·
Registered
640 Posts
saabkid37 said:

although its not cold air that matters on a turbo car its just the amount of air.
hmm.. didn't know. why so?

·
Registered
42 Posts
saabkid37 said:

Yes and no id put a priority on getting as cold as possible but it certainly needs air....thats why they stuff bags of ice on top of all the intake stuff when they dyno.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
I have to say colder air is better, the amount if resistance is small that your removing by drilling holes, its best to extend your intake to front location where there is cold air not warm under bonnet air. my 2 pence:cool:

·
Registered
640 Posts
yes, but have to be careful with the extension to make sure that it is not sucking in dirt and snow for example :) I have seen such masterpieces of art :)

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Well i dont suggest that an Air filter is not used, not for a second, and i would not have it in a location that could get hit by water! that would be a nightmare if you sucked in 500ml of water!

·
Registered
640 Posts
here is what we had: intake kit that has a cone filter with a pipe that leads to the front.. it was palced in front at a very low location.. the next thing that guy found was that the car wasn't going that well.. filter was covered by a plastic bag and snow :)

as for the cold air - more o2 molecules per unit of air, which burns gas more effictevily

·
Registered
731 Posts
Exactly. Colder air is more dense. Also compressing the air increases the temperature too (that is the point of intercoolers), and you want to keep the charge temperature down as low as possible to allow more boost and decrease the chance of detonation.

Haven't you noticed how great your car goes on a cold morning, and sluggish it feels in hot weather? It really does make a difference! Higher humidity helps too I believe, but intake position can't help that :)

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
This is one I did earlier...you don't need the holes in the end of the cover, I was trying something out.
Ingress of water is not a problem as long as you have the plastic covers under the engine and inner wings in place....obviously don't go driving in rivers though.

Attachments

·
Banned
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so nobody exactly knows how to take this thing out? how do i get to it from the fender? i would have liked to do this 2day...but i guess no1 really answers questions on this forum

·
Registered
640 Posts
you have to go under the car, remove the plastic cover and then start digging or you can also try to remove wheel and then open up the plastic cover there.. what else could you possibly imagine to do to get it our?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts