SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my friends father tonight (I'm selling cars for him) and I may buy one of his cars. It is a 1986 Lancia Thema, nice car, pretty quick, I like it. My 900 has been sittin for awhile now, I'm thinkin about selling it, its just too much of a headache to fix (its an 87 and the brake parts are almost impossible to find for a reasonable price) and I was lucky enough to find someone to let me keep it in their driveway. I was thinking about possibly getting the Thema. I know it was imported a few years back. The thing is any insurance companies I was pricing with some insurance companies over the internet, and the Lancia's aren't in the lists. I know when looking for insurance companies on the internet I saw a Lancia on the list somewheres. Anyone have any info, it would be greatly appreciated.
(Just realized, this is my 200th post :lol:)
Oh, and it is kind of Saab related, the Thema is a 4 door 9000 sedan :cool:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Are you sure that Lancias were imported into the US legally? Perhaps I'm wrong, but I can't recall them being sold in the US through normal channels in the recent past.

On another point, are you really trying to replace an 80's SAAB with a Lancia because you think the parts for the SAAB are too expensive? :eek::eek: I can only imagine what the price for Lancia parts must be.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the only car sold by Lancia in the US was the Zagato.

This car had pretty much everything fixed and replaced on it. I'll probably land up keepin the 900 (I just put a whole leather interior in it, and it has sentimental value: it's the first car that I ever paid for; my others were old junkers that weren't running and I took them and fixed them up) and maybe getting the Lancia as a weekend car. My 900 isn't in the greatest condition, and it would take alot of work for it to meet up to the condition of the Lancia. Perhaps I could get collectors insurance on the Lancia? Ihad thought about the parts situation, so I figure since the parts are just as hard to get as my 900s, If I get it, I'll just keep it as an extra. I want another car, but I can't buy an automatic. First, I like the 5 speed :cool:, and my younger sister has a habit of taking out cars, and she hasn't touched the 900 because its a 5 speed.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I owned a Lancia Thema 2.0 16v 5speed a few years ago, it was fast and the road holding was superb, but they abandoned the right hand drive market around '95 and dealer support soon went, so getting spare parts was a hassle. As you said it shares the bodyshell with the 9000, as well as the renault 25 and the Fiat Croma. I've noticed Lancias now being grouped with Fiats so maybe if you describe it as a FIat Lancia you'll have more luck with Insurers. I always wanted a Thema 832 with the ferrari engine :cheesy: some say it's the ultinate sleeper, but it was only made in Left Hand drive, and in limited numbers.

·
Super Moderator
11,178 Posts
Lancia withdrew from the US market in the Spring of 1981. The last models sold here were Beta platform cars: The Beta Coupe, Beta Zagato and up to about 1979 or so, the rear engine Scorpion. Consolidated International of Columbus, Ohio bought the last 2,500+ Zagatos (which were sitting on the docks in NJ) and sold them out of a warehouse on the south side of Columbus for $9,950.00 each (at about the same time they were liquidating the last of the original DMC stock, RIP John Z). I know, I bought one in 1982. The Thema was not sold here and you must belooking a grey market vehicle.

Brake parts may be hard to get for the Saab, but Thema parts will not be easy. Many engine parts will be available somewhere, as it is a Ferrari V8.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait, Last_straw, youre right!
I went down to the DMV to register the Thema for my friends father, and on the NYS title, under make it said FIAT-LANCIA, he thought it was an error, but when he imported the car, thats what the DMV sent him.
I did some research, the Thema the platform shares the Fiat Chroma, Saab 9000, and Alfa Romeo 164.
The Thema with the Ferrari Dino 3.5 V8 is the Thema 8.32 I think. This is a 2.0 Turbo, and the motor looks just like a 9000 motor. It's even placed in the same position in the engine bay as the 9000. He's a mechanic for a shop that pretty much only services Saabs/BMW/Mercedes/Volvo, and says its a rebadged Saab engine. The car is quick and handles nicely. I've driven a few Lancias on a few occasions, and my two favorites are the Thema and Delta HF Integrale. Theres a Beta Zagato lying around too, a 79 with fuel injection, but theres something wrong with the motor and he can't figure out what's wrong with it. What I find interesting about the Thema is its from 1986, but has a digital display for the a/c and heating controls. I got to post pictures, I have to burn them onto a CD off of a digital camera.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts