SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Ive just pulled my dash apart (84 saab 900 turbo) and now I have no instrument lights, theyve been working but now arent. Ive checked fuse its fine (also dont have glovebox light, or ashtray light.

NB: I do have ignition lights and headlights etc and the interior light over the back left door works (so no blown radio fuse etc)

I think ive found the problem two green wires inside the left speaker grille, one of the green wires connects to the glovebox light and the other wire (I assume) connects all the lighting for the rest of the instrument panel together

There is a longish copper connecter (flat) on the green one which i assume is coming from the middle dash (I think i broke the connection/connector when i was pulling it apart (i found tiny bits of a green something not sure what it is....)

Just wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram or knows where these two green wires connect to > I assume they are power not earth as I can see all the earths and touchign them to metal doesnt restore the lights!

Any help would be much appreciated... thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a similar problem....

After reassembling my dash, the lights that once worked (ashtray, dash, glovebox, etc), didn't. Wound up that when I put it back together I had managed to pinch the ashtray light wire behind the center bolt behind the ashtray, grounding it out. Might you have something like that going on?

·
Registered
108 Posts
dash light out

could be the potentiometer .
isn't there two , one for dash lights one for heater etc.
Should be mounted on the left side, the springs in them wear out, just a thought .
Jim

·
Registered
26 Posts
Funny you should mention that...

There are two pots; one to the left of the steering wheel, which controls the dash switch lights (thermostat, fan, air director), and one on the right side of the speedo, coming through the glass, that controls the lighting of the gauges.

When I had the ground problem, if I turned the controls pot all the way clockwise, to where it clicks in, it would blow the fuse and I'd lose all lighting. If I kept it just before TDC, I at least had gauge lights.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ill take a photo, im pretty sure its just these green wires that are on the left side inside the speaker grille... im pretty sure they connect to 12v somewhere i just dont know where... ill take a photo and upload it so you guys can get an idea

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heres the photo, ok the green wire with the black plastic comes from the wiring loom.

The other green wire with the copper thing on it (it says 5w on the copper piece) comes from the glovebox light switch... I assume this is the mechanism?

Could someone pull their speaker grille out for me and trace these leads and take a photo so i know where I need to put them?

That would be so great

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive figured it out, the leads are for the glovebox light

could somone maybe pull their glovebox light assembly out and take a photo of it so I know how to put mine back together?

I will try and source one from a wreckers (the plastic tabs are broken) Or could someone maybe just disconnect the two green leads going to the glovebox light and tell me if their whole instrument panel fails to light up after that...

Just so I know that the glovebox light switch is the reason why my whole instrument panel fails to light up....

Thanks

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Megro!

Problem solved, I am officially dim in the head

These two wires broke off the clip and shorted my instrument lights, blowing the fuse (I thought I checked it, obviously not the right one it was listed as LEFT beam fuse not control lights or interior light etc)

So replaced the fuse and have lights, its just the glovebox light now, I need a new one of those and will be all good... im gonna replace all the bulbs in the dash for good measure as well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts