SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 1986 900 Turbo and to be perfectly honest its in need of some money to be spent to get it the way i would like it. I am currently saving up with the intention of getting a later model 900 at the end of the year, however I can't bare to part with my C900. Which brings me to my question, whilst I am deciding whether or not to spend the money on a newer car or fix up the old one I was wanting to gauge the opinion of fellow Saabers on what I would want to do to the interior should I keep it.

I am not a big fan of the instrument cluster in the C900's, it looks boring, doesn't light up well at night and the speedo wobbles. I have even installed a set of indigo gauges but I am getting sick of those as well. I was wanting to replace the instrument cluster with that from a later model Saab, one that has nice illuminated dials and pointers and generally looks better. Has anyone replaced the stock instrument cluster in their C900 with something else? Any ideas on how easy or hard it would be to do?

Specifically a local wrecker has the instrument cluster from a 2003 9-3 and it looks fantastic, I don't think it would fit in the stock dash so I would imagine it (the dash) would have to be modified slightly. Has anyone done this/know someone who has or have any suggestions?

Any comments/suggestions/discussion would be greatly appreciated.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
The instrument cluster from a late C900 looks the same as a 9000. They're a straight swap.

The speedo wobbles because the cable's kinked. The needle will still wobble even with a brand new cluster. You'd need to replace the cable. I saw some instructions on that by rally900.

Instrument clusters from 9000s and later cars are electronically driven, unlike the 900 which is mechanically driven. You'd have a lot of work to do to swap a cluster from a 9-3 into a C900. Damien Shulock did retro fit the electronic speed sensor from a 9000 into his C900 in order to support the addition of Trionic.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mine wobbles, but only in second gear and only between 20 - 25 mph... how much does it cost to fix?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Matthew said:
Damien Shulock did retro fit the electronic speed sensor from a 9000 into his C900 in order to support the addition of Trionic.
Do you know if he posted any info on the conversion; and if so where abouts would I find it?

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts