SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Today's Saab challenge....repairing the stepper motor for the temperature gauge on the back of the instrument cluster.
I have a 9-3 2.0t 2006 - My speedo part number is 12763126. I have taken it apart and the round stepper motor for the temperature gauge is faulty. I imagine that the tiny brush motor inside the stepper motor is no longer working. All the stepper motors on the back are the same but I am not familiar with the manufacturer. They say "A&P 'date' then Version 3.0.6"
Ideally, I would look to buy a few working stepper motors and not the whole cluster and just remove old one and solder new in......can anyone out there help me with the correct stepper motor and maybe the place to get one please?

Thanks,
M

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
Buy another MIU and take from it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe.....but just trying to fuel my curiosity on what these stepper motors are and where to get them! Hopefully they will be cheaper than a complete MIU....
M

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
Here in Finland you can buy whole MIU from scrapped car in 10-50e.
All stepper motors are same, so you do not need exact same P/N.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here in Finland you can buy whole MIU from scrapped car in 10-50e.
All stepper motors are same, so you do not need exact same P/N.
Thanks for replies...

Had a final good look today......looks way to fiddly for me to de solder...was thinking of changing the turbo stepper with the temp gauge but am happy with the status quo at the moment. My Wife also reminded me of my feeble soldering skills in trying to fix her CD player....I have an engine app on mobile phone that can show me the correct engine temp. I think the only way for me is to get a known working cluster and go from there.

Question is though...does the new cluster need to be divorced from the donor car and then married to mine? Or just married to mine or not?

Thanks,

M

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
No if you are just swapping stepper motor.
If you are swapping whole MIU, you need to marry it to your car with TECH2. You might even need to upgrade it to latest version first.
Remember that you can add mileage, not reduce.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No if you are just swapping stepper motor.
If you are swapping whole MIU, you need to marry it to your car with TECH2. You might even need to upgrade it to latest version first.
Remember that you can add mileage, not reduce.
Ok, thanks...so the mileage is on the MIU not on the ECU......so a brand new one would give you zero miles?........think I'll get a second hand whole MIU unit over the next few months the same as mine and then have another go at de soldering the one stepper motor.....

Picture of the naughty stepper motor connections.......you can see they are not square like most of the other ones I have seen!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts