1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
To be specific, TWICE immobilizer needs to be reprogrammed if replacing any of:

• TWICE
  • MIU
  • ECU
This is in the TWICE section of WIS. The MIU section of WIS does not mention it. :roll:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Is the MIU the same as the ignition module underneath the key cylinder? I was under the impression that the ignition module replacement does not require remarrying.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can anyone tell me whether a replacement instrument cluster requires remarrying with a Tech II?
Solved Update: my problems were solved today when I found a mechanic with a tech II in southern Vermont who was able to marry my new used instrument cluster to my car. Mimmi was right. The cluster has to be married to the car. No you do not need the Vin number of the donor car that the New used cluster came out of. Yes you have to marry both the cluster and a portion of the audio system. BBA reman was unable to fix my old cluster. My thanks to you all for your help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So was replacing the instrument panel the end solution to your intermittent electrical issue? Banging on my dash gets it to light up again and allows it to start so I have been assuming it's a bad connection or grounding issue but know you were dealing with the same issue. Please let me know what you've found! Thanks

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, as mentioned in the other thread, the solution was replacing the cluster and then marrying that cluster to the car with a tech II. All has been well since. And it’s been fun to have a car that shows 112,000 miles on it instead of the 185K that it actually has. ?

Be advised that I sent my defective cluster to BBA reman for repair. They were unable to repair the old cluster. Hence I resorted to a used one from eBay which I picked up for $65.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cool, thanks for clearing that up. The no start condition in my case is related, not sure about yours. If the cluster power is out the car will not start. If the cluster is on the car will start no problem. While driving the cluster will intermittantly turn off (with gauges dropping to zero) and a good bang or two on the top of the dash will turn it back on, usually only momentarily. Sometimes it turns back on itself, sometimes it needs a bang. Did BBA give you a diagnosis or a reason as to why repair was not possible?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BBA said something to the effect that once they got in there, the defective part was an integral component that they couldn’t repair.

At first I thought it might be a failure of the ignition control module underneath the key barrel. But then I figured if banging on the dash restored the function of the cluster, then the problem was the cluster and not the ICM. It sounds to me like you have exactly the same problem, and I would go for the cluster replacement approach. Just a wild guess, but if BBA REMAN could not fix mine you’d probably get the same answer. In my case anyway, the end cost to me once I found the $65 cluster with 112,000 K on it, And paid a guy to install the cluster and then a second mechanic with a tech II charged me 25 bucks to marry it, my out of pocket at the end, without having to pay BBA’s repair fee, was only about $245 total.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts