SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just bought an 01 9-3 TiD and am having some trouble with the instrument cluster. The whole thing is not working. I have pulled it out and everything seems to be connected properly. I have also tried finding another from a breaker, but could only find one from an 01 with 2 plugs, (mine has one), and one with one plug, but from a petrol automatic. Neither one would work for me. If I plug the automatic one in, it won't start at all. Put the original back in and it starts and runs fine, just no instruments.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have any idea? Mistake on original post, it is MY 2002, just built in late 01.
There must be some connection to the dash yet, when started some times, I have some of the lights flash a few times, then nothing, and after shutting down, the needles will actually shake a little.
The things I am thinking it could be: Bad instrument cluster?, Bad SID2 unit activating part of the night dash system? or ECU not sending the information to the dash?
The dash worked when I first go the car last week, had a no start situation due to loose ground cable, fixed that, then no dash. Went home, lost poser again due to only a temp fix at work, fixed, jumped, and then dash worked again. Went out for a drive and dash quit half way through 40 minute drive, hasn't come back since.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Jake, I think you are right about the bad solder joint. Went out tonight to run to the store, turned the lights on, and now the dash is back up and running. Guess I will have to go over the circuit board with a magnifying glass to try to find the bad joint. Then I have go try to use my horrible soldering skills to try to do a permanent repair. Although the only thing not working now is the odometer.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
You could also try baking it in the over (I'm not sure how much of the plastic can be removed from the circuit board). Often 5 mins at about 350F will do for reflowing the solder. Try at your own risk since it could damage some of the components.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts