SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was playing in the twilight hours yesterday, I turned the headlight switch to marker lights mode. Interestingly enough that did not light the instrument cluster up. I cannot then blame just a bulb on the back of the cluster. Do the instrument cluster lights have their own relay/fuses?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Cluster should be lit when the car is in run mode regardless.
Something is amiss.:confused:

·
Registered
304 Posts
supremedalek said:
As I was playing in the twilight hours yesterday, I turned the headlight switch to marker lights mode. Interestingly enough that did not light the instrument cluster up. I cannot then blame just a bulb on the back of the cluster. Do the instrument cluster lights have their own relay/fuses?
On mine ('86), fuse #18: dash & (from memory) tail lights. I think fuse #s & purposes are different across model/yr.

I've dealt w/same problem twice, both times after dis-reassembling dash & instrument cluster. 1 or more causes I've found:

• An idiot light corroded, loose, or burned out. I ended up pulling all mine & cleaning bulbs & socket w/connector cleaner.
  • Improper (re)connection of either plug on side of cluster: there is a black female plug holder which snaps onto these stems, also holding the mylar cluster circut in place. I've had this piece loose, causing same problems. I've also had the plug itself not secure... eg. attaching it by "feel" did not guarantee a good connection (view is obscured by cluster/dash).
  • (my) sloopy reassembling of mylar circut on rear of console after disassembly: there were several places where I didn't get terminals re-connected properly.
FWIW, I've had mine apart a few times for various things since I did good cleaning on bulbs/sockets... been fine each time since.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
There is a dimmer on the cluster itself. Sometimes they become rather persnickety. the cluster has two bulbs, what are the the odds that they both expired at the same time?

·
Registered
491 Posts
mine was #23 but I checked all the fuses just for kicks. And there is indeed a dimmer, the right of the 3 little knobs in the cluster. Hope one of these work!-Alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts