SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious about some history. Hopefully, owners of different models can help.
I'm curious to know why there isn't a front fog light indicator on the instrument cluster with the OG9-3.
I know there is a rear fog light indicator.
It doesn't appear to be a market-orientated option from what I can see.
I know some models didn't come with front fog lights, and in some markets, fog lights may have been programmed with other lights as DRL.
If I recall correctly some C900 models had an indicator on the instrument cluster for both front & rear fog lights.
* our family had an 85 900i-NA 3dr from the UK that had rear fogs.
Do the NG900 and 9-5 models of similar age have these indicators or are they only rear fogs that are shown on the cluster.
Is the reason why there isn't an indicator - is because of the illuminated front fog switch?

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Front fog lights do not have indicator in instrument cluster, only switch illumination gets brighter.
Usually driver can see when front of car gets illuminated.

You can not program front fog lights as DRL, but you can leave switch to ON position (mechanical switch). Then you can turn light switch to "park" position (engine running).

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Guys. I was just curious.
Mimmi - I thought the Nordic states could program the Fogs as part of the DRL via Tech2 - but maybe it's just the switch on as you suggest.
I'd seen a 'hack' relating to the perm wiring of the switch on a YouTube Saab Channel.

·
Registered
19,382 Posts
@Mort: You can program the fogs to operate independently of the other lights. That allows you to use them as DRL's as Mimmi suggested. In the US market default setting that's not possible. I don't know about other markets. So that's the Tech II part.

In the European vehicles, the headlights light up an indicator on the dash when the headlights are on. On the NG900 it's a green indicator up next to the Rear Fog indicator. In the USA, there's no bulb in there. Might be in your market. I set up an LED to light up in there when the headlights are on.

On the OG 9-3, there's a "set" of headlights-on indicators back to back located down low on the instrument panel. But again, it's not functional in the USA. I was thinking of setting it up to indicate the fogs were on, but since one day I may actually mount some Hella driving lights, it might be those. There's also the option of multi-color LED's for dual indications.

·
Registered
92 Posts
On my 1988 Saab Spg, (USA), there is button to be pushed and the fog lights will come on, only with low beams They go off when high beams are turned on. A green indicator did come on, I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts