SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: How do I go about changing my instrument cluster from green to red?

The green and orange combo are just not doing it for me I want to change it to red. Also some of the lights have gone out.
I've been searching aimlessly and gotten mixed results.
so far i have found that some of the lights have a green plastic film over the button and some of them have green removable caps.
Any information would be greatly appreciated! :)

2001 saab 9-5

·
Registered
838 Posts
Are you talking about the speedo teach ? I believe in your year there's wedge bulbs with green condoms over them

If its the climate control radio Sid buttons the plastic is green painted white then painted black with a stencil to give you the image you see

Window heated and vented seats switches I think have condoms

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I mainly want to change the Speedometer/RPMs/Tempature/Gas and sounds like if i just put red leds in without the green condom they will work?

·
Registered
838 Posts
If I remember correctly you have to use a wedge bulb with a condom, the LED light beam is too narrow and you get hot spots and cold spots

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Use these on the first link; I did this so far; haven't decided on the dash and MIU color yet. The MIU and dash have a green film for the clear bulbs, switches are clear; so you will have to do some color matching to get a true red.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/instrument-cluster-gauge/

This site will allow you to order mix colors so you can try these for your color match

http://www.wardenjp.com/stores/neowedge.html

I like this here and am in need of new bulbs in the heat/cool seat switches. What ones did you buy for the blue and red colors?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Use these on the first link; I did this so far; haven't decided on the dash and MIU color yet. The MIU and dash have a green film for the clear bulbs, switches are clear; so you will have to do some color matching to get a true red.

This site will allow you to order mix colors so you can try these for your color match

Can you remove the film?
And by color matching do you mean painting over it?

I really like the look of those seat warmers ;ol;

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Don't think so; looking at the MIU defuser it seems it's all green covered with black so it might not be easy changing the color.

Do you think its possible then to get a true red color through the green film?
Is the green film removable or will it mess the MIU up?

I really like the look of those seat warmers :)

·
Registered
755 Posts

Which bulbs did you use?T4,T5,short,tall?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
These are the styles that should fit the MIU; the switches, and dash panel uses the T3 an T5's I believe. I've only ordered the T3 for switches; I went with the tall for the seat switches.
B8.3D (2)
B8.4D (2)
B8.5D (2)

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Thank you for taking the cluster apart and posting a pic.

I've switched to LED's in both my SID and ACC displays. A white LED will change the orange to green. Not sure why but the effect is great.

I tried LED's in the cluster at the same time and ended up with hot spots so I switched it back to the standard bulb. Now I see why. Maybe these are just the thing you're looking for if the green gel is able to be removed. Does it look like it can be?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I've switched to LED's in both my SID and ACC displays. A white LED will change the orange to green. Not sure why but the effect is great.

I tried LED's in the cluster at the same time and ended up with hot spots so I switched it back to the standard bulb. Now I see why. Maybe these are just the thing you're looking for if the green gel is able to be removed. Does it look like it can be?
did you use a wedge bulb in the cluster?

also what color did you put in and what color came out?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I used white twist in 12v LED's in the instrument cluster. It ended up a very bright green (no color change) It was brilliant overall but there were hot spots or spots brighter than others due to the intensity of the LED and the limited spread. I would do it all over again in a second with LED's that had 120 degree spread or better.

Very interested in knowing if the green film (gel) can be changed out. That's the ticket right there to a new color.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
It looks to be a clear plastic laminate (when scratched) with a green coating; and the black and white you see in the pic was added to get the color effect you see on the MIU when things light up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going to take it out my self and take a look. By what you are saying it looks like it is possible after all :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts