SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working out the kinks on a ‘88 9k Turbo.

I noticed my center display was not working so I went ahead and pulled out bulbs, both were toast so I replaced as necessary - still no display. All other panels work on the instrument cluster.

since purchasing I have removed the clock, when disassembling the instrument cluster I noticed one of the connections that leads from the center display was meant to be for that clock. I’m assuming that is how you view the different info bits available through the clock buttons.

my question is does the center display need to be connected to the clock to work? Should I start checking OHMS at the other two connections and if there is appropriate results consider the center display burnt out and start looking for a replacement?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plug it back in and find out ??
I took out the clock to install a boost gauge and while doing removes the original wiring of the clock casing for the gauge - going to go ahead and order another clock as I found a way to have the best of both worlds, a vacuum/boost gauge AND working info buttons. However from what I can recall the center display did not work even when the OEM clock was installed and working properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went ahead and used a test light to determine if connectors were getting power.
I confirmed the connector leading from the center display to the cars wiring harness has power at pin #2, 6, 7, and 8.
Connector leading from the wiring harness to the center display has power at #2, 3, 4, 6, and 7
And lastly, the connector leading from the center display to what would be the clock has power at all pins.

no green light/confirmation on ground at any of the pins. Could this be the issue?

I’m going to go ahead and order a new OEM analog clock. Hopefully someone can diagnose this before I purchase a new cluster for it’s center display module.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can buy the EDU separately for the cluster. Check on fleabay.
Thanks for the suggestion, the only display I found sold on it’s own that I found was for a later model and would not be a plug and play swap. The cluster I found with known good working parts was only a little bit more too and gives me spare needles, gauges etc to play around with.

I’ve been looking for an excuse to pull the needles out and refresh them with proper fluorescent orange paint as they are all faded.

After testing pins I noticed my fuel gauge is not working. Through some other forum posts it’s concluded that the fuel gauge and center display are connected and confirms my suspicions about a faulty computer. I’ll keep anyone posted who also has this issue if I am able to solve it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts