SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've SC 2.0T Aut., MY07. Does anyone have experience about installing:
-Park assistant. What does it require, how difficult it is?

-Gear shifter switches on steering wheel. They are standard in all automatic Euro-models. Is it just question of adding those switches on the wheel?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
karitammi said:
I've SC 2.0T Aut., MY07. Does anyone have experience about installing:
-Park assistant. What does it require, how difficult it is?

-Gear shifter switches on steering wheel. They are standard in all automatic Euro-models. Is it just question of adding those switches on the wheel?

Thanks!
If you are comfortable pulling bits of the car apart both are easy to do.
http://webpages.charter.net/listit/Saab%20SPA.pdf
SPA requires a TECH II adjustment once fitted to tell the car it is fitted. Not sure about the wheel paddles, possibly not as it is just a new set of messages on the CANbus from the Steering, just like the volume control etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the instructions! It looks rather straigthforward. I, however, haven't done it because of different opinions about the fit on MY 2007 car. The dealer says that it requires some new control unit whereas a spare part seller says it the same as for the MY 2003-2006.

Has anybody installed SPA on MY 2007?

About wheel paddles: how do you disassemble streering wheel controls?

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Parking assist is a waste

I know that the 9-3 is a little difficult to see out the back, but in my experience the parking assistance doesn't work that good.

I've still run over 2 of my kids toys. I find that it doesn't work well with things that are close to the ground, like curbs.

I would like the shifters.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Actually I have to disagree, as someone who parallell parks daily I love my SPA. IMO it's the Paddles that are a waste, can only use the going relativley straight. Try to shift in turns and there out of position.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
100% agree with jonv. had a 9-5 aero (somewhat low impression of this car) as a loaner, the only prob is you cant shift during turns. not to mention how slow the shifting actually was. but back to topic, I love the spa. one of my favorite features, actually prevented me from hitting a small boulder a few months back.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It is useful for parallel parking. My beef is that it doesn't "see" anything that is below bumper height.

I probably need SPA and a backup cam. I'm just awful at reversing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SPA is finally installed and activated at a dealer on SC MY 2007.

Installation and instructions are little different from previous models years (2002-2005 I suppose). You don't replace a wiring harness, you just add another wiring harness for SPA.

Parts + shipping + activation were about $450. I did installation by myself. Instruction are good.

Gear shift paddless are still under consideration...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My 9-3 is the first car I've ever owned with rear parking assist and paddle shifters. Both were things that I was very excited about having.

Two years later....

The SPA is fantastic. That will be a feature that I will really want in any future car. Makes parallel parking much easier and downright fool proof.

I think I've used the steering wheel paddles 4 or 5 times. Yes it looks cool, but I don't find it all that useful really. I mean it's neat, and I like it and all. But unless you're really obsessed with the idea, I can't see why it would be worth hundreds and hundreds of dollars and tearing apart your steering wheel just to get it. On those occasions where I do want to manually control the transmission, I prefer just doing it via the +/- indents on the stick anyway. But of course, your life & your car. Just my opinion...;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I've used the steering wheel paddles 4 or 5 times. Yes it looks cool, but I don't find it all that useful really. I mean it's neat, and I like it and all. But unless you're really obsessed with the idea, I can't see why it would be worth hundreds and hundreds of dollars and tearing apart your steering wheel just to get it. On those occasions where I do want to manually control the transmission, I prefer just doing it via the +/- indents on the stick anyway. But of course, your life & your car. Just my opinion...;)
You are absolutely right. I've been thinking the same. I use manual mode only for engine braking sometimes. The reason I've been thinking about the installation is that missing the paddles makes my car a little non-standard after shipping it to Europe. Sentronic models come with paddles where I'm moving to... On the other hand, the are some other differencies, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts