SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Saab'ers. Assuming the seat is already removed, how long do you reckon it would take to a qualified technician to install a TWICE, new ignition immobilizer antenna, and program two new fobs using the tech2 and re-install the seat?

Our Saab service dealer (a Caddy dealer new to Saabs) claims it took 4 hours!!

Am I being totally skru'd on this? They already billed me 3 hrs for diagnostic work!!!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If you have any doubts call them on it, ask them to show you the labor times for the job. If it's truly 4 hrs. they should be able to show you exactly how, we always went by Saab labor tables at our body shop. I don't have those books but they will have a break down for example.

R&I remove install seat
R&I twice and anything else they need to.
and of course the time to marry everything in the tech 2.
though it only takes a minute to setup the tech2 they probably have
a .5 min or something to that affect.

Either way you have a right as the customer to ask for the break down of
the work, that was one thing I liked about the body shop tickets, it explained every charge in time piece by piece item by item. where as mechanic shops its usually very generalized.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Planosaab - I'll take your advice and do that. The initial 3hrs diagnostic should have included seat removal, as they were checking for wiring faults. The additional 4 hours would be install, re-assemble, and programming.

I'd be surprised of the Saab labor tables allow for 4 hours but if that's the case I'll live with it. My concern is the tech and shop, being new to Saabs, didn't know what they were doing, and I'm being asked to pay for that. This shouldn't be the case, as the Caddy dealer is now GMs official service provider for the Saab line.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The seat does not need to be removed, just undo the 4 torx bolts & tilt the seat backwards. To swap the twice unit takes seconds & the whole job should take less than 30 mins, Ive done this on my 9-5 loads of times.
The key remote sensor (fitted in the center console) & the ignition immobilizer antenna (fitted around the ignition barrel) takes 10 mins tops.
To reprogram keys takes less than an hour, I was charged 1 hours labour for this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts