SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I'm looking for information on installing a turbocharger on a 1995 Saab 900s with the 2.3L engine. I don't know if this was possible or not, so I'm just feeling out the possiblities. Any help, be it links or experience, would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Possible, but usually not worth it compared to just buying a turbo.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Hey there and welcome aboard. Sorry for the other members comments, but it's a common question. It's only been done a few times, and isn't very cost effective. I had stickied a thread about it several months back, but someone felt it unnecessary then...

You'll be spending lots of good money just to bring your car up to the level of a stock 900/9-3 turbo. It actually can be cheaper to sell the S and buy a turbo.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am sorry for my original gruff answer, i was still a bit cranky from work today.

Anyway i actually think turbo-ing a 900s could be fun, thing is the car can not be relied on as a daily driver, but if youve got money to burn and an extra car, i think it would be a cool thing to try. thing is the way i would do it then, is to go all out. Forged internals lowering the compression to 8.5 and i think as far as an ecu goes, you could probabaly get a standalone to work considering its not trionic, its the commonly used bosch motronic ecu, I am pretty sure there is a lot of things out there for the motronic fuel injection system, and like i said a standalone would probabaly work too.

and welcome to SC

·
Registered
69 Posts
i researched this topic as well, i have a 98 900s. i defintly think that it is NOT worth it, and that is an understatement... first of all, you would be looking at dumping atleast 1grand, maybe .5 or 2g's into it to make it happen. you would need a turbo, an intercooler, mounting stuff for both of them, probably a new front bumper, intercooler piping, new airbox/air intake setup, a bpv or bov, boost controller and much, much more...

and heres the real bad part, you'd only be able to run safely at around 7psi MAX... reason being is that our 2.3L engines are already high compression and adding the turbo would most likely gank the engine by blowing a headgasket or maybe even screwing up a piston. not worth it by far in my book, but the choice is yours!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
the best idea i have seen is swapping in a t5 saab 9000 motor... tons of torque and power... easy to tune as well... otherwise drive your car and like i have told many other NA drivers..... do suspension work on the car.. u WILL NOT regret it!!!!

sorry BK:cheesy: :lol:

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
I'm kind of surprised that I haven't heard of anyone trying to supercharge one of these cars. Bolt-on supercharger kits are much simpler than turbochargers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
you cant supercharge a 4 cylinder. well i mean you could, but the horsepower gain from the supercharger (30-40MAX) would barely, if at all even make up for its parasitic loss... cuz if u didnt know supercharger gets it power from a belt that connects to the engine, similar to an air conditioner. and it creates the same or more horsepower LOSS than the air conditioner too.... so you would barely break even... turbos on the other hand get their power from the exhaust, and dont cause any parasitic loss.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
I know superchargers cause a big loss, but they're used pretty successfully on a lot of Hondas. Jackson Racing has some great kits for Civics that can give you another 30 or 40 horsepower. When your engine only has 110 hp to start out, that's a heck of an increase!

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
danthegolfer said:
you cant supercharge a 4 cylinder. well i mean you could, but the horsepower gain from the supercharger (30-40MAX) would barely, if at all even make up for its parasitic loss... cuz if u didnt know supercharger gets it power from a belt that connects to the engine, similar to an air conditioner. and it creates the same or more horsepower LOSS than the air conditioner too.... so you would barely break even... turbos on the other hand get their power from the exhaust, and dont cause any parasitic loss.

Saturn Ion Redline. Supercharged 4 cyl EcoTec engine. 205 hp, same as a Saab 9-3 SE

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
The main reason you haven't seen superchargers being discussed is because any type of forced induction will carry the same problems on an engine not designed for it. You can definitely turbocharge a N/A car, but the only safe way to do it and get any real power is by changing the pistons and con rods to lower the compression ratio....

That Ion Redline I mentioned has a compression ratio of 9.5:1

For comparison, a 95 9000 turbo is 9.2:1....

A 95 S00S comp ratio is 10.5:1

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
danthegolfer said:
I thought turbo charger had a parasitic loss too, not in the same way but they prevent exhuast gasses leaving, for each 3 hp generated from boost one of those is lost directly through spinning the turbine to get the boost - parasitic loss.

And on compression, my V6 is now well over 12:1 :eek: no supercharger for me then [supercharged 2.5 V6 typically 50bhp, but £3000 in the UK, imported from the US - a poor return on power gain]

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I started my Saab 'career' with 2 NA Saabs.

1994 900S
1998 900S Convertible.

I wanted a turbo (and my 94 was a money pit).

I got rid of both and bought 2 turbos.

1998 900SE
1999 9-3 S Convertible.

·
Registered
69 Posts
well arent you just the sh!t.

by the way, why are these forums censored? i mean cmon, thers no 10 year old kids here, and if adults cant handle the god forsaken f bomb (or even somethign as meaningless as sh!t) then they definitly just need to calm down. these are forums, not kiddypools.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Dan,

Chill. Each forum has its own vibe, which makes sense and makes the whole Saab scene a better place.

Saablink is a lot more free-wheeling, but sometimes the level of discourse reflects that. You should be able to get your point across without using expletives (although I confess to using azz or sh!t every now and then...)

Saab Central has less of the anything-goes mentality, which works to create a space that is pretty welcoming to prett much anyone.

Both sites are much more lenient than Saabnet, aka Stalag 13, where Scooter rules with an iron mouseclick and often states, "Ve vill not tolerate any of dis slamming of ze brand! You vill show me your paperz please!"

Saabnet has its place, though.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
mike saunders said:
Saabnet has its place, though.
Not in my opinion.
I haven't seen TSN in over 2 months at least.
If I can't find it here or at TSL then I assume it just can't be found. ;)
If I don't like something (TSN or WAL-MART) I simply do not patronize it.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
danthegolfer said:
i mean cmon, thers no 10 year old kids here, and if adults cant handle the god forsaken f bomb (or even somethign as meaningless as sh!t) then they definitly just need to calm down. these are forums, not kiddypools.
Tends to be the children doing the explitives generally, once confident and articulate you learn there's a time and place.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
I know how you feel, Cleve. The Wal-Mart comparison is pretty accurate, as I only use it as a place of absolutely last resort, just like Saabnet. I know lots of folks who were put off by Scooter's elitist attitude and goofy membership plan. I won't contribute any info there unless someone specifically asks....

ok...back on topic: I think this thread has been linked in a sticky that may help other N/A folks who are contemplating putting some more juice under the hood.

Consensus opinion seems to be:
* It's doable but expensive
* Gains on an unmodified engine are marginal, maybe 7 psi of SAFE boost. (You can go higher at your own peril.)
* Changing the compression ratio to safely add boost is almost as expensive as putting in a new engine. (The Honda trick of adding a thick head gaskets to reduce the CR doesn't work for us.)
* It might me less trouble to sell the n/a car and use the money to buy a turbo car.
* Some easy suspension mods (rear anti-roll bar, steering rack brace and clamp) will make the car feel faster because the driver will be able to corner with more confidence at higher speeds.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts