SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Whiteline QuickRelease Tower Bar today. The install went very easily. Took about 30 minutes start to finish. I had to do some minor cutting, but it looks pretty clean. It can go back to stock without any real notice. I haven't really driven the car much yet, but based on looks alone, its totally worth it. You can notice it through the window, but if you dont want to have anyone see it, just pull the shade. After I get the windows tinted, it'll be even better. First time posting pics here, hope they work!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Close up of the tower attachment point. I left the little tab on in case I even need to go back to stock, this way the tab will still close under and not stick up, that way, it'll be totally clean again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks great. Where did you get it? How much? How long did it take for delivery? Do you have the front strut bar also? Sorry for all of the questions. Update us on how you like it when you have driven it more.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Subaruwrxparts.com is where I purchased the item from. I bought it online Saturday night, and got it today (Wednesday) via DHL. I had to sign for the item. My cost was $156.04.
I dont have the front bar yet, but it is on my list. :cheesy: And I will update more during the drives. So far though, its bangin'...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I understand that when you modify one end of a car's suspesion, the other feels lighter. So I must ask, have you been pushing (understeering) more?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in New Jersey, and if anyone has driven the local highways, they have very sharp and very long exit/entrance access roads/ramps. Some are slated at 15mph. The one by me is a 20mph, and each time I hit it, I slightly increase my exit speed. So far, I've taken it at 43-46mph, and the car handles as it were on rails, no joke. The stock set up is sweet, but I dont plow through the turn at all. The tires are the only indication that any limits are being pushed (that and my lunch thrown to one side of my stomach)

I am very happy with this product, and plan to purchase the other half...hmmm maybe I'll do it right now.

Thanks for the question, I hope the answer helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Richz said:
I understand that when you modify one end of a car's suspesion, the other feels lighter. So I must ask, have you been pushing (understeering) more?
Not sure where you heard that, and it depends upon the mod. In this case, the rear stress bar will (slightly) stiffen the rear end in that the geometry will not flex as much as an open back. Should assist in making lift throttle work more
predictable (i.e. the tail will behave the same, everytime), but would have limited effect on either "push" or "looseness" (it would lean abit towards loose).

BTW, if you check the NASIOC forums, there is no benefit to be gained with a front stress bar, although it certainly adds a little "bling" to the underhood.

Scargo

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, thats why I didn't buy the front right now. I will get it to complete the look, and dress up the engine bay a little, but I can use the money for something more useful.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Scargo said:
Not sure where you heard that, and it depends upon the mod. In this case, the rear stress bar will (slightly) stiffen the rear end in that the geometry will not flex as much as an open back. Should assist in making lift throttle work more
predictable (i.e. the tail will behave the same, everytime), but would have limited effect on either "push" or "looseness" (it would lean abit towards loose).

BTW, if you check the NASIOC forums, there is no benefit to be gained with a front stress bar, although it certainly adds a little "bling" to the underhood.

Scargo
Just to be certain, the REAR bar does serve a purpose, more so on wagons. When I have the scratch, I'm going do what Methodman did (thank's for the
nice pics, now I know what I'll have to do) to help keep the body stiff, when
I'm not running in D-something.

Scargo

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the good words. Now that my car has broken the 1000 mile mark, and my days off are this Wed/Thurs, I've told myself to go out on some spirited drives through some twisties. At which point, I'll give a bit more of a review. The bar is so easy to take off, I can do a direct comparison.

Considering the ease of install, and the rather inexpensive price, this, to me, is a great addition.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Methodman said:
Thanks for the good words. Now that my car has broken the 1000 mile mark, and my days off are this Wed/Thurs, I've told myself to go out on some spirited drives through some twisties. At which point, I'll give a bit more of a review. The bar is so easy to take off, I can do a direct comparison.

Considering the ease of install, and the rather inexpensive price, this, to me, is a great addition.
I'd agree. The nicest part of the removable bar is that the bar will help the body maintain integrity. That is one thing I wished I had done on my (now gone, never forgotten) Solo2 GTi when I had it (put in a removable stress bar). It would have helped the car remain stiffer for much longer between Autocrosses.
Somehow, I don't think it would have helped when the tree landed on the car though;)

Scargo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Methodman, I have a question about that particular tower bar. When it is removed, can it the stowed in the trunk storage area closest to the rear seat? If not there then how about in the trunk tray?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You know, thats a really good question. I doubt it will fit in the compartment closest to the rear seats as the bar is a little too long. I am sure it will fit in the spot by the hatch, and will try that tomorrow. I'll try them both, and let you know...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts