SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK .... I followed the advise given and have just finished installing the latest PCV update Kit # 55561200. It may be of interest that the my local GM dealer quoted and sold me this kit for less then I could buy from after market suppliers. I paid a total of $69 and obviously even saved on the shipping. The new set-up is very similar to the original with the only exception being that an additional tube now is spliced to the return line which connects to the body of the oil filler tube. ---- Also I noticed that the oil separator unit has an ultra restrictive metal disk with a small hole in one of the openings -

• I don't want to sound like a block head but I still feel that connecting directly from the valve cover to the metal tube that goes to the top of the turbo would be a much less restrictive and better set-up.
  • The best most functional system would obviously be to just install a PCV valve with a hose to the valve cover and vent to the atmosphere -- like the race engines do -- but that would not be a GREEN thing to do.
  • I would post photos but how do I do this?

·
Registered
207 Posts
The best most functional system would obviously be to just install a PCV valve with a hose to the valve cover and vent to the atmosphere -- like the race engines do.
Almost.
Pat of the closed system is using the intake as a vacuum source to draw the vapor from the system. Simply removing this connection and venting to atmosphere could make the problem worse. That is where the air / oil separator comes in. In a perfect world the oil gets "trapped", runs back to the sump while the now clean air flows into the intake.

Some run the line into the exhaust, this creates the necessary vacuum without dumping the oil into the intake (which you would be doing to extreme by simply running the blow-by line from the valve cover to the intake). This is also considered "non green" which I never really understood since sending the oil into the intake burns it off just the same. I guess in the cases of extreme blow-by, the amount of smoke sending it directly into the exhaust would be quite smokey. Also, if you pipe into the exhaust before the cat, it's not going to last very long.....

Another big aspect to a proper air / oil breather system is supplying fresh air into the crankcase. If you have a vacuum on one end, you need an intake source to replenish on the other.
I'm still in the early stages of learning the SAAB setup, so I'm not 100% sure where this come into play on these cars.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts