SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my top engine mount in. It really looks nice, since I didn't want any flashy poly colors, but wanted the firmness. I found black locally.

I can also tell its holding the engine firm, I get a bit more torque, thus wheelspin at the top of 1st and 2nd.

You can see I had to modify it a bit on top of usuall triming of the block mount material.
I drilled new holes, and removed the tabs on the other side of the Y part to clear the valve cover. I had to drill the new holes, so I could use the upper strut bar as my chassi connection.

Like I said, it looks nice an plain, black and silver. I was surprised how easy it was to drill thru the strut bar. I used the stock 9000 parts, 2 poly bushes, and 3/8 bolts, The kind that only have threads on half of the thing.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I think a top engine mount is a really good idea.

The "missing" upper engine mount is something I wanted to remedy years ago. It was pointed out to me by a couple real automotive engineers when there was still a local design and test center for one of the big automakers.

Theory was it may have been eliminated not to save money, but to reduce noise tansmitted into the passenger compartment. The firewall is pretty thin.

The suggestion at the time was to use part of the 9k upper mount, cut an aluminum plate, and weld a small steel plate to the firewall for a two point support, using the small ledge on the strut tower as one point, and the fire wall as the other. Similar to how the rack brace was done. Never seen it implemented though.

The top mount would help prevent the rear and front/transmission mount failures we are seeing now, some of the shifting problems, and maybe even some of the transmission issues.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
PMI said:
Never seen it implemented though.
You mean something lie this or different?

I found a bolt on/near the firewall. It is a blanking bolt with no purpose that I can tell. I initially bolted the brace up to it but it pulled it out in no time. It was only tack welded onto the metal. Once it pulled it out, it left a larger hole which I was able to go through from the back insidewhere the cabin air filter is located and braced it up firmly with a beffy size bolt and nut.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
SPATL said:
You mean something lie this or different?

I found a bolt on/near the firewall...
No, but looks like you got a lot further that I did. I think I know which bolt you mean, but I could not see how to get to the other side of the hole. It was a few years ago, so hard to remember, but they were talking about using a plate on the firewall, in combination with a bracket to the metal on the side of the strut tower. I did not know about the rack brace at the time, so I guess it was similar to give the top mount some rigidity and protect the firewall at the same time. The metal fatigue on the RHD firewalls was already a known issue then, so were some of the engine mount failures.

Is yours very noisy?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
PMI said:
No, but looks like you got a lot further that I did. I think I know which bolt you mean, but I could not see how to get to the other side of the hole. It was a few years ago, so hard to remember, but they were talking about using a plate on the firewall, in combination with a bracket to the metal on the side of the strut tower. I did not know about the rack brace at the time, so I guess it was similar to give the top mount some rigidity and protect the firewall at the same time. The metal fatigue on the RHD firewalls was already a known issue then, so were some of the engine mount failures.

Is yours very noisy?
No extra noise. I left the spongy material at the firwall there so that may cushion it enough to keep the vibration down. The bolt is there stock but you can access the other side of the bolt when you remove the plastic cowl over the cabin air filter. There is space there. I need to go back in and put another brace inside there as it isn't actually braced up to the firewall but to metal before the cowl opening.
Here's a pic of that area:

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
SPATL said:
...you can access the other side of the bolt when you remove the plastic cowl over the cabin air filter. There is space there.
<chuckle> I should have known what was there, just had it apart weeks ago... That makes it a lot easier! I think that is one of the more worthwhile small mods, since it can both improve shifting, and prolong the life of the stock mounts... I think at least one of my mounts must be getting weak now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Tweek, what are you using for a digital camera?! Pics look clear and "proper" colour..

(Sorry for the thread jack) Thanks.

Sean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts