SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I'm in process of doing the aux in mod for my iPod and wanted to try a bit more involved installation. I want to use the Be1kin Auto Kit (a cigarrette lighter plug with a audio output which then plugs into the dock connector of the iPod) I would like to avoid having the ugly plug jutting out of the cigarette lighter and after poking around behing the dash, I noticed that there may be room to store all those connections behind the actual cigarette lighter. That leaves me 2 options:
1. tap into the power lines going to the cigarrette lighter in the dash, hard wire that power source into the the Be1kin adaptor. This would require me to hack open the bin adapter and find it's power leads.
2. pull the cigarette lighter from its mount and just plug the Be1kin adapter into it -- all behind the normal mount area. I would, of course, then have a strange round hole left in the dash.

Option 1 is easily the ideal option, but I'm not certain how a cigarette lighter plug works. Is the front metallic "knob" for power and the side springy part the ground? Does anybody think it's even possible to take apart a cig. adapter and hard wire into it??

Thanks for any thoughts!!
Myra
99 9-3SE HOT
Code:

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I chose a third option, I tapped in to the wire for the cig. lighter, then put a second lighter socket inside the glovebox. It's easy, just take out the glove compartment and the side kick panel.

The advantage is that everything is out of sight, including your stealable IPOD

Eventually, I bought an fm transmitter that plugged right in to the cars antenna cable and hardwired it in. I have the input cable running into the glovebox, and also use an adaptor to power my IPOD on long trips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JMarkert said:
I chose a third option, I tapped in to the wire for the cig. lighter, then put a second lighter socket inside the glovebox. It's easy, just take out the glove compartment and the side kick panel.
I thought of putting it into the glovebox, but it's a stretch to reach it when I'm trying to drive. It's a new Nano, so it fits perfectly in the little bottom storage cubby. Perhaps I could just put a extra lighter socket in behind near the other one. Where did you find another socket?

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it very much.

// Christian

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I think I got it at autozone, or somewhere like that. It wasn't very expensive, I think. It's true the glove compartment is a little far. When I'm driving, I usually run the aux in wire out of the glove compartment and leave the Ipod on the seat or on the console.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JMarkert said:
I think I got it at autozone, or somewhere like that. It wasn't very expensive, I think. It's true the glove compartment is a little far. When I'm driving, I usually run the aux in wire out of the glove compartment and leave the Ipod on the seat or on the console.
Yeah. That makes sense, I suppose it's also true I could just unplug it when I'm done and put it in the glovebox... but whatever works, right?

I'll check out a local shop and see if I can find a socket... although, it would just be ideal if I could figure out the hardwire thing -- since it would be pretty cramped if I do want to try and put a extra socket in behind the existing one...

Thanks for the input!

// Myra

1 - 5 of 5 Posts