SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter was driving my '87T home the other night and ran over what she called a "dip" in the road. Result of said "dip" was skid plate jammed into the bottom of the auto tranny, bent pan, and small hole. I got all that fixed today and when I went to take it for a test drive it was very apparent the front end is also out of alignment. Took the car to the shop but unable to do the alignment because of a bad inner tie rod (not from the dip in the road). Can someone give me the directions on how to replace the inner tie rod? Thanks!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mechanic showed me a special tool that is used to remove the inner tie rod but didn't go into details on how it's used. The "other Saab" board also mentions the same tool but again no details. My rack is good, no leaks, no winter problems, so I don't see any reason at all to remove and replace it. I know the inner tie rod can be replaced, I just don't know what steps are involved.....

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to borrow one of these special inner tie rod removal tools from a mechanic friend of mine. It's a cylindrical tube about a foot long. On one end you place a ratchet, the other has several different fittings depending on the size of the flat spots on the back side of the inner tie rod. (btw, a 1 7/16 inch fitting works very well) All told, it was less than an hour's time from start to finish.

Now to fix the transmission pan that weeps a bit. Guess I should have replaced the gasket and not tried to reuse the old one. Oops....

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
YES! YES! YES! thank-you people! my new falken tires went bald and in order to warranty them i have to replace my inner tie rods as well! i can't afford a rack, and mine is decent as well, no major leaks, slight seepage, i think its a hose clamp, and morning sickness, well even a good rack will be a little funny on a cold morning!
special tool you say? i will pass that along to my mechanic, and under an hour you say, i will pass that along as well!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I too had some slight seepage, all it was was a hose clamp by the resevoir that was loose.

If I had known what I was doing, it would have taken less than an hour per side. Jack up car (use a jack stand once it's up), remove tire, loosen lock nut on outer tie rod, remove bottom nut off outer tie rod and pop tie rod off steering arm, unscrew tie rod counting the number of turns, remove rubber boot off inner tie rod, (replace if bad), push back plastic sleeve to access flat spots on inner tie rod, use the special tool to remove. Installation is reverse of same...but screw the outer tie rod back onto the shaft the same number of turns it took to get it off.

The special tool is available from specialty tool shops or even eBay...buy one that has a 1 7/16 inch attachment and you're good to go.

If you reuse the old boot, you'll need to purchase new metal bands that hold it in place. New boots should come with them. The passenger side boot is a lot easier to install because you can actually see it from above. The driver's side is more difficult because all the hoses, alternator, and brake stuff is right there.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Phil do you have a link were i can see this tool? i don't know what am looking for on ebay, and am pretty sure i need this tool to replace my tie rod as it has maybe 1mm of play in it:cry:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a link... http://shop.store.yahoo.com/brandsplace/0246-lis45750.html

or http://cgi.ebay.com/SNAP-ON-BP-INNER-TIE-ROD-REMOVAL-INSTALL-TOOLS-YA3000_W0QQitemZ4435307201QQcategoryZ303QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are some different variations of it but this is the style I used. The end showing on the picture is what goes over the inner tie rod, this is the end that has interchangleable fittings. The tube slides over the entire tie rod arm. On the other end is a square hole, your ratchet fits into this. The actual removal and installation of the tie rod will take no more than two minutes. It's all the other stuff that takes all the time.

I've seen this tool for sale for about $20-25 US.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Phil your a brilliant man indeed :cheesy:.

I in no way shape or forum wanted to remove a whole steering rack:eek: and you have saved my mind;)

I have never ever seen this tool before and it's a touch of magic, now I can fix my track rod and have true steering, it only became bad as i did not change the rubbet gator when it feel apart, lesson learned:), thank you very much again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts