SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first post here. First of all, I'd like to warmly thank the many members of this community for the awesome, helpful guides that I've used while lurking here.

So here's my problem: I have two partially ruined inner drivers, and I'd like to know if I can Frankenstein them together.

One of them has a slightly damaged (but possibly still usable) sleeve.

The other has a cracked base plate (the area where the bolts mount it to the transmission case).

I looked over the inner driver, and there appears to be a circlip holding the actual sleeve into the baseplate/bearing. Is it possible to just remove this circlip and slide the un-damaged sleeve and do a swap?

I do not have access to a press, so if this would involve pressing out the bearing or anything similar, I'm probably SOL.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Not sure what you mean by sleeve. I assume you mean the circular housing that bolts to the tranny with a bearing inside. There is a retaining circlip on the shaft up against the bearing holding the shaft in the bearing. If you remove this circlip the shaft and driver cup can be withdrawn. They are frequently not very tight and often can be removed by using a soft headed mallet on to the end of the shaft. More info here; http://townsendimports.com/Web/transmission_folder/driveshafts.htm#9indri

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
What you are referencing as a sleeve we call a driver cup (which has a shaft attached) ..

And as Peva says , you can certainly tap this out once you remove the circlip ..
Be aware that there is a spring and a little plunger in the end of the shaft , Take note of the one you remove thats in service ..

The Bearing Housing ( what bolts to the tranny ) whether it be on the car now .. or you use an alternate .. should remain with the shims that are currently on the car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds great. Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Also keep in mind there is a seal and an O-ring to the assembly. The bearing change is if you wish to or notice damage. Having done a replacement bearing, I would recommend you find a sleeve to press the bearing in place while a post or block is used to support the inner driver cup. The fit as far as my experience is loose enough the the bearing will be pushed out of place during the driver install.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Also worth mentioning at this stage is that if and when you use the inner driver assembly, under the flange that bolts to the tranny are spacer shims. These must always be kept intact and together on that side of the gearbox. These shims are there to achieve the correct clearances on the differential assembly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts