SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
under moderate load, at highway speeds there is a subtle hammering from the driver's side. The boot (outer) is fine hte inner boot is crooked, and looks to have been leaking grease. Is there a good howto on replacing the cup and triple bearing of the axle? Driver's side

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
If the inner cv bearing has gone you get vibration thru the whole car as speed increases.

Easy job to change, undue wheel axle nut, jack car up, remove wheel, put block of wood under wishbone arm and lower car to put weight onto arm.
Remove 3 bolts on lower ball joint, undue lower antiroll bar drop link nut. Jack car up until roll bar drop link comes out and lower ball jiont and suspension strut and wheel hub can be moved out of the way. Pull wheel hub out of outer cv hub. Remove inner cv rubber boot clip. put cardboard on ground to catch grease and remove drive shaft compete.
get circlip pliers and remove circlip on inner cv end, remove cv bearing. Clean old grease up, refit new bearing ensuring the circlip side is the totally flat side, one side has a slight chamfer, this side goes on first.
Repack with grease and refit driveshaft and work in reverse order to put everything back.
Put wheel nut on with loctite and tighten to correct torque or very tight of like me you don't have a big torque wrench!

·
Registered
292 Posts
jebbaah said:
OK,
under moderate load, at highway speeds there is a subtle hammering from the driver's side. The boot (outer) is fine hte inner boot is crooked, and looks to have been leaking grease. Is there a good howto on replacing the cup and triple bearing of the axle? Driver's side
I would recommend replacing the entire axle with a new/rebuilt, especially if its a high mileage unit. If you are taking the axle out, it makes no sense to just do the inner joint, may as well replace the outer joint also. By the time you buy the parts, you have spent more than a new axle costs and replacing the outside joint is a messy job that requires special tools.

Removing and replacing the axle is piece of cake. An alternate to Markk's method is to disconnect the strut assembly from the steering pivot, its just two bolts, and rotating the pivot forward to pop the inner joint out of the driver/cup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
axle replace check! what about replacing the cup?

Thank you all very much for the input. I think I can replace the axle now. I cleaned out the inner boot and found a chip of steel shaped like a little potato wedge about an inch long. I repacked the joint and boot, and the car is much quieter now. I think I may need to replace the cup attached to the transmission on the driver's side. Any advice?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts