SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys while changing on my 08 9-3 aero 2.8l xwd alternator, when I pulled the axle, I noticed that this bearing seems to be shot. I'm not sure what it's called, I tried googling it, but came up with nothing? What is it and how do I replace it?

Thank you 20201121_132418.jpg

·
Registered
501 Posts
Number 24

Bearing

keep in mind to get the inner axle out, I needed to remove the alternator and it’s bracket. Not to bad to do but necessary.

I posted pictures a while ago, when I did this job. I’ll try to find the thread.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be very helpful, thank you. What would I look up in order to find a step by step guide on how to do this?
I dont want to re-assemble everything just to have to do it later on. Seems like a waste of time right now.

·
Registered
501 Posts
here's the link, hope it helps. It shows the bracket that needs to be removed.
I was able to remove and press in the new bearing with using a vise.

pictures at post number 8

Keep in mind, when you pull this inner axle out of the tranny, you will lose a little bit of fluid

Yes, i would do it while you have it apart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here's the link, hope it helps. It shows the bracket that needs to be removed.
I was able to remove and press in the new bearing with using a vise.

pictures at post number 8

Yes, i would do it while you have it apart.
Ok awesome, i just did this both the alternator and the mounting bracket. So not much to re-do. I'll tackle this later on, thank you very much.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I might have been thinking the wrong bearing. Is this the bearing right behind the Passenger side axle?
I'm thinking it is the inner axle shaft bearing, between the right hand axle and the tranny.

I found the parts break down the XWD transfer case. Looks like they should the bearing you are after.

XWD transfer case

·
Registered
501 Posts
It is the "same" bearing, tho there seems to be a difference between the XWD and FWD. I have a FWD, that bearing is held into place by a bearing block which is bolted to the engine block. The bearing i have is part of the inner axle assy with can be removed (pulled out) from the Auto-tranny.
You have a XWD, is it a auto or manual transmission?

Sorry, for the confusion.

I found the parts break down the XWD transfer case. They do show that sealed bearing you are looking for.

XWD transfer case

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah damn. Thanks for your help though. Yeah I need to figure out how to get this thing out.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
That bearing can only be pulled from the inside which means you have to drop the transfer case which also involves dropping the driveshaft and subframe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Number 18 is what you need. But it’s a job. See my above post.

Thank you, but someone on facebook showed me a short cut that wound up working.

UPDATE: Didnt have to drop the T-case or the drive shaft or the sub frame. Got a dent puller and some vice grips, connected the two, and hooked it up to the shaft. Then heated up the axle housing with a torch, and slide hammered it out. Did destroy a couple snap rings in the process. Are these snap rings universal that I can get anywhere or are they saab specific? Would be a major pain in the butt if I didnt have all of the pieces removed for the alternator job.
20201122_134121.jpg 20201122_134110.jpg 20201122_134140.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts