SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aaarrrrggggh

I have to swap out my wifes starter motor today (2000 Se Est)
None to hard really, very fiddly with minimal access but aside from that it isn't hard job.
Unless, the main harness stud simply spins with the nut rather than undo!!

Mounting bolts............easy
10mm loom nut...........easy
13mm loom nut............no way Jose

Main issue is that it loops into the battery and alternator connections making any sort of movement nigh on impossible. There is no means of getting anything else in there to try and hold anything. Access for a spanner/socket and a hand is hard enough. I really do not want to have to remove the whole +ive cable loom and then separate it outside of the car but it looks like that is what I will be doing.

What an utter ****.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I did in the end disconnect the live loom from the retaining clips. I was then able to wiggle the starter out the top and have it sit on the battery tray. It was then I discovered some numbnut had cable tied (zip tie) the oil sender loom to the solenoid.
Pulling the starter free and out the top pulled the wire out of the oil sender. Grrrrr

The only way I managed to get the loom free of the starter was to break off the top assembly complete. Even then with a spanner on each end the nut would not move. I needed to take a griner to the stud in the end. God only knows how that got so tight.

So, replacement oil sender and starter back in. 3hrs in total . I have done starters on these before in under an hour. What a git :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
4 cyl? I am gonna be doing this in the next week or so. But I already validated both wire nuts come out easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts