SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Diverter Valve or Blow off valve???

Hi fellas. I recently bought a 2001 Saab 9-3 SE H.O. Turbo, Automatic and I always wanted to install that valve that makes that "pshhhh" sound every time the transmissions shifts. Although there are a few things that concern me!

1) Is is a diverter valve or a blow off valve?

2) Can I install it on my car even though it is an Automatic & will it do any

engine damage over time, or give me any check engine (error codes)??

3)How do I chose from what is out there, because there are literally

thousands of those valves and the price range is incredible!

I'd appreciate if someone could assist me through this because my car is too sporty and it deserves to make that exploding sound. ;wink :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
1) The one that makes the noise you're looking for is a blow-off valve.
2a) Yes you can install it on an automatic; I don't recall if it's the T5 or the T7 that doesn't like BOVs.
2b) Keep in mind that you don't "shift" an automatic the way you do a manual; a DV/BOV actuates when the throttle is released (& vacuum is pulled on the valve) during a gear change sequence. As such, you won't get the audible results from a BOV that you might expect.
3) Since you're the only one who knows what "exploding" sound you want your car to make....

The key point to remember is, don't get one with a valve spring that's any stronger than the minimal force you need to keep from leaking boost pressure. Any stronger & you'll risk trash your turbo bearings, impeller & housing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you much for your response. I'm kind of new to this and it's somewhat hard to really understand most technicalities about them, although your info. gave me a general idea of what to look into, things I ought do and not do.

:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
t7 don't like bov.....

but i've ask the question a few time about dual port BOV on a t7 but never add any responces

btw

this topic should be updated since the DVR is no longer available ?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts