SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on this? My Info Display isn't working properly. The readout is fragmented and totally illegible.
Wondering if this might be something like bad connections that just need re-plugging.
How do you remove the panel? Lever it out with a blade?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Any tips on this? My Info Display isn't working properly. The readout is fragmented and totally illegible.
Wondering if this might be something like bad connections that just need re-plugging.
How do you remove the panel? Lever it out with a blade?
Whoops, sorry, I have been doing this (Model name etc) previously but on this occasion I forgot. (I can hear the sound of hair tearing out!) Model details: 1999 2.0T 9-3 S, Australian delivered.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks boys. That panel, is it just held in by moulded-in plastic clips? Will it pop out with gentle wide blade tweaking?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now, this might sound a bit naiive and hopeful, but is it possible that disconnecting the battery for some minutes might cause a reset?
Is there anything else I need to be aware of disconnecting the battery apart from radio station memories?

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
It's a physical problem, unplugging the battery won't help. The SID just pops out - a credit card will get it out.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Be careful prying it, you might damage the edge of the hole. Extract the radio by normal means, then push the SID out from behind. Once in your hand it will be obvious how to disassemble. I don't have any to look at right now but from memory a couple of small black screws, release a clip to take a flat panel with a dome on it off the outer casing, release a couple more spring clips etc. Its straightforward, as will be releasing the display from its casing.

The DIY repairs are 1) run a the tip of a hot iron (the clothes-flattening type, or a soldering iron with a wide head) along the joint of the ribbon connector, to hopefully re-seal the multiple contacts, or (2) reassemble the unit with foam strip or similar, to apply constant pressure to said ribbon contact strip. (3) Buy a new ribbon. remove the old, clean the contacts, stick the new one on. (4) unless you can find a used SID with photos proving its all working, it probably isn't. If I sell them on eBay I always include pics.

(2) worked for me in a 9-3 after a couple of attempts, and (1) is about 95% successful with 9-5 SIDs in my experience (probably done nearly a dozen, with the clothes iron. I would worry about getting the soldering iron too hot and causing damage).

·
Registered
66 Posts
As Jon said it's a common issue - replace the SID or replace the ribbon cable inside.
Nothing more than a ribbon cable for me. The maker of the cable I bought 15 years ago gave it a lifetime warranty. I don't think they anticipated that I'm going to die with this car. They may not even be in business anymore. Regardless, the cable as not failed yet. Never needed to do anything to the SID. Ribbon cable worked as described. I think our heated seats went out not too long after the original ribbon cable. Replaced the grid and they are still going strong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts