SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All ---

I am installing a pair of the Infinity Kappa's in the front dash and I cant seem to get the black speaker cover back on (over the speakers). It looks like the tweeter is hitting the cover. It seems like the speakers need to go down just a tad further, but there doesn't seem to be any more room. Any suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm not sure specifically what my install guy did, but I had a component system put in the front and the tweeters were mounted on the 4" speakers that come stock with the car (the ones onstar uses, in the 03 at least). I have no problems with them in any way.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help.

I got the left dash in with a lot of luck (and force). I will try the file down method on the right.

·
Registered
174 Posts
There was a little wiggle room when I was installing my FX3's - perhaps you can shift your Kappa around a little so that it rides a smidge lower. Another option is to bend the speaker mounting tabs a bit so that it rides lower.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Be careful when working with the speaker grilles. They are made of poly-oxymethylene (POM), also known as Delrin. This is a somewhat flexible and slippery plastic that is notoriously unresponsive to adhesives. Filing or shaving it should work fine. You might be able to use a Dremel if you're not too aggressive. I would not recommend cutting it with shears or diagonal pliers as you may crack it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies!

I noticed that after I got the left front dash hooked up, I heard a low level hissing from this speaker even when the key was out of the car. Is this normal? I didn't cut the wiring harness, but removed the plug the from the stock speakers and attached the speaker wires to it.

This morning, I went to start my car and seem to have a dead battery. It won't turn over. Simply coincedence? It seems impossible to me that it could be related to the speaker install.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
AZLinear said:
This morning, I went to start my car and seem to have a dead battery. It won't turn over. Simply coincedence? It seems impossible to me that it could be related to the speaker install.

Thanks.
Maybe you have the steering wheel lock problem. That, when not properly engaged, will drain the battery.

The speaker will not drain the battery, but it sounds like it's getting signal (hiss) because things are not turning off.

If you wired the speaker or messed with it while the stereo was on, maybe you confused the EHU. If the hiss persists, try pulling the EHU fuse, as the EHU may be the parasitic load draining your battery. I really wouldn't think the EHU alone would be enough to drain the battery overnight. That seems too fast. Maybe some lights are not turning off? Take a look around the car when it's dark.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
When I upgraded the front speakers I noticed a constant hiss also.. 9 mths later no dead battery to speak of. Someone else on here mentioned a hiss too, but I do not recall who it was. Let me know if you figure it out, as i do not think it was the install.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ctrlz said:
Maybe you have the steering wheel lock problem. That, when not properly engaged, will drain the battery.

The speaker will not drain the battery, but it sounds like it's getting signal (hiss) because things are not turning off.

If you wired the speaker or messed with it while the stereo was on, maybe you confused the EHU............
Thanks. I did not do the install with the key in the ignition.

The car is 2+ years old and I don't believe the battery has been replaced - I bought it used - so maybe it is just a coincidence and it is time for it to be replaced as they tend to go pretty quick here in the desert.

·
Registered
174 Posts
93t said:
The problem is that the magnet hits the bottom ..
...never mind then. :roll:

Do you know whick part of the Kappas is touching the grille? I'm a big fan-o-the dremel tool for fixing small fit problems, so if it's a mounting component that too thick, shave it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I think it is hitting in 2 places.
- The tweeter
- The grille lip, farthest from the window, seems to be hitting the surround ring on the speaker.

I was planning on trying to use a dremel tool to shave down the reinforcing grit above the tweeter as well as the lip.

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
19,150 Posts
Funny...

When I got my car back from the dealer for replacing my window motor, I opened up the doors to remove the speakers to put some gaskets behind them. I left all the connections to the doors on so I could see if the glass was still rubbing before I put the door panels back on. After I tried the windows, I fired up the radio also and I noticed that I needed to put tape on my leads as the speakers didnt work as they were grounded. Scared me at first, but they worked fine after I taped them up. When everything was finished and in working order I went inside for an hour and when I came back out to start my car the battery was completely dead. What's the heck happened? It sounds similar to above. Any ideas? This was the start of my battery woes....

·
Super Moderator
19,150 Posts
For some reason I think the hiss may have to do with Onstar.... Can't remember where I read it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
AZLinear said:
I think it is hitting in 2 places.
- The tweeter
- The grille lip, farthest from the window, seems to be hitting the surround ring on the speaker.

I was planning on trying to use a dremel tool to shave down the reinforcing grit above the tweeter as well as the lip.

Thanks for the help.

The tweeter hits the grille, but by removing the reinforcing mesh in the grille with a Dremel this problem is solved..

The plastic ring on the woofer should be removed, its just barely glued on, it comes off very easy, it doesnt have any proper function anyway..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, 93t. I wondered about the ring.

I do have one additional question. I am having problems with both door speakers. The dealer ordered a new speaker for the passenger door as it crackles when there is any bass at all.

However, the driver's door seems to only have low level music coming out of it and no bass at all. That is, if I turn the balance dial all the way to the left, I am only getting music out of the left dash speaker. No music can be heard from the left door speaker unless I put my ear next to it.

Here's my question. I suspect the answer is NO, but not really being an experienced car audiophile, I will ask. Does the dash speaker wiring have any connection to the door speaker? I just installed the Infinity in the left dash and to be honest, I am not sure if I noticed before if I could hear music out of the left door speaker.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
545 Posts
AZLinear said:
Thanks, 93t. I wondered about the ring.

I do have one additional question. I am having problems with both door speakers. The dealer ordered a new speaker for the passenger door as it crackles when there is any bass at all.

However, the driver's door seems to only have low level music coming out of it and no bass at all. That is, if I turn the balance dial all the way to the left, I am only getting music out of the left dash speaker. No music can be heard from the left door speaker unless I put my ear next to it.

Here's my question. I suspect the answer is NO, but not really being an experienced car audiophile, I will ask. Does the dash speaker wiring have any connection to the door speaker? I just installed the Infinity in the left dash and to be honest, I am not sure if I noticed before if I could hear music out of the left door speaker.

Thanks for the help.

No, the door speakers are powered from the AMP1 unit under the drivers seat.

The dash speakers are powered from the headunit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts