SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start by saying I am very inexperienced under the hood but I am wanting to get the most out of my 2.0T. I am looking for advise from fellow saab enthusiast who have upgraded their 2.0Ts and can give constructive advise on what I should do and not do. I have close friends and family that are mechanics and can help me out.

Im going to apologize now just in cause I ask stupid questions.

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,177 Posts
You can add 45 to 55 hp with an initial stage tune without doing a thing under the hood (if you elect to get a PPC tuning unit). This thread lists the major players in the Saab tuning world.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248387

I am a long-time JZW customer, having had previously a stage 5 T-5 ECU from John and currently a Stage 1 aggressive tune for T-8.
Casey of Brew City Boost has become very popular with many on SC and Brian at VTuner, along with John at JZW, was among the early pioneers for tuning T-8.

Then of course there are the several European companies like MapTun, Hirsch, BSR and Nordic that provide tuning.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Always start with a tune. decent gains can be had from a tune, and an intake and exhaust...that's always a pretty good bump in performance, and is usually pretty easy for most people to tackle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses! I'm going to compare the different tunes and decide which im going to go with. I really appreciate your help. What's your guys opinion on cold air intakes for our cars? I've heard it really doesn't add much.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you want an intake other than the stock box, you'll want the BSR kit, as it's the only one that doesn't throw a code. Otherwise, follow the DIY instructions to build an open air intake for about $50.

Either way, there are probably no true performance gains, as neither will be able to change the flow through the MAF housing, since changing the diameter of that bit of pipe causes the ECU to freak out. They will, however, add a nice sound from the turbo and the BPV, which adds at least 40whp to the butt dyno.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just completed Stage 1 on my 06 93 2.0T

Wanted more performance from my convertible slushbox and after reading all the tuner reviews I choose JZW tuning, stage 1.

Great price and great support.

Anyone who tells you that you don't have to do anything under the hood to implement an ECU tune isn't telling the whole story:

1. Make sure your car is in good working order... If your car isn't running smooth now, adding a tune is just going to aggravate the problem.
Clutch, Transmissoin, CV boots/joints, air filter, brakes etc.. Change your gearbox/engine/transmission oil if it hasn't been done recently.
2. A tune requires plugs with an .030" gap (at least JZW tune does), and you should install new plugs regardless.
3. The new tune boosts turbocharger pressure.. So you should check and tighten the intercooler hose clamps.. Two on top, two underneath, or so.
4. And of course 93 Octane gas.

Other than that loading the new ECU program is extremely simple.

Supposedly the Stage1 tune increased power on my 2 L engine to around 260 bhp and 280 ft lb torque.. The improvement is very impressive and transforms the car.. Definitely worth it IMO.. And you can always change it back.:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts