SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I mentioned in another of my threads that my indicator for turning right was quick. Turned out front right bulb wasn't flashing, so figures blown bulb I says to myself.

Go pull the lens and take the bulb out and the filament is fine? strange, so I put it back in try again .. same thing doesn't go. Strange, go grab my multimeter to see if its getting juice. Pulled the bulb out with it indicating still and the whole lot stopped, no worries put it back in and oh what still none going. :suprised;

Tried the left indicators and nothing either, no dash indicators or anything dead as a doorknob. I can't hear the flasher relay clicking when i turn them on. Figured I must've managed to pop the fuse with all my fuddling about, took a quick squiz and its fine, popped the multimeter across it and it's got 12v. :(

Not sure whats up - did I cook the flasher unit or something? how would I find it, my haynes manual electrickery guide is pretty terrible - and the wiring is even worse to trace. Looks like it goes in front of the intercooler and possibly into the front bumper or somethin.

Ideas?

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Did u say u tried the relays? Take out the fusebox (comes out by pulling 4 platic pins or so) and theres a map to help you navigate the relays.

If the fuse is getting power, i might start there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't 100% which relay it was under the hood, the plastic lid was marked 'headlights low /high etc' nothing specific for the indicators - besides i think that relay is in the dash, how do I get to it?

So you think if i pull the fuse box i'll be able to trace the wire out to the relay or possibly even firewall and beyond or something?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I got access to the flasher relay, wasn't clicking. Quick multimeter check getting 12v across 1 pin per indicator direction on the board side. Not sure why the relay isn't going, maybe toast.

I pulled the casing off it, appears to be nice no obviously toasted components. I don't see how what I did managed to cook the damn thing, surely not coincidence. I manually shifted the arms on each of the relays in the hope i might get indicators on the dash or something, no such luck though. :(

Well it's a reasonable assumption to think the flasher is cooked if the pins going into it give 12v and the ground pin works yeah? sounds like i'm off to a wreckers or something..

grr

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's not that because the 12v feed to the relay pins comes on only when I engage the signal stalk. :)

Hope a replacement relay fixes it, although im still not sure why the front right bulb stopped going inthe first place! (filament was fine when i inspected)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixed it! after trying another flasher relay ... didn't work! grr

Went back home in search, checking continuity trying to decipher the horrible schematics guide in the haynes manual. Re-checked fuse, still intact. Tried continuity across the bulb I originally took out ... nothing - Hmm so it is dead then. Took a reaaaly close look and its missing maybe 1 coil of the filament. So that was something, explains the speed on the right one, but not why everything is dead. Aha! I spotted another 'signal indicators' fuse, the one i was looking at must've been for the dash only. :evil:

Pulled that one out eagerly, confident i'd found the problem ... annnd intact! faack. It was about 5mins later after checking the rear bulbs to make sure i hadn't somehow fried them all I cam back to the fuse panel and purely by chance noticed a cooked one!

Score, quick check of the glovebox fuse blueprint, hazard switch fuse! :cheesy: replaced it as quick as i could 'click' relay pops into life.

Sorted, went and changed the front bulb to a new one too - speeds back to normal and all. :p Why the hazard fuse can nuke the indicators too is beyond me, stupid design!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts