SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occasionally my indicator lights come on but don't flash, it is happening more often and I have an MOT coming up. Am I right in thinking it is likely to be the relay? Am I also right in thinking that the relay is under the passenger side (UK) knee pad? Is the relay on its own and obvious or are there other relays there? If so which is the indicator relay? The car is a 1993 Convertible. Thanks

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
The relay is under the knee pad LHS. It is possible to remove it by pulling the vent trunking down and feeling around underneath. There are two relays there and the next one is the wiper delay relay. If you switch the indicators on or the hazard light you can feel the one that's clicking to identify it. I have a pic on my pc somewhere but I can't find it.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
I think they are the same relay so if you swap them over first you will soon know if that's the prob.
have some if needed,lol;ol;

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I think they are the same relay so if you swap them over first you will soon know if that's the prob.
have some if needed,lol;ol;
Don't think they are Alwyne. They may look similar but they are different. Here's the pic I couldn't find. Sorry about the quality. While you're about it Ron why not fit a variable wiper relay, which is the one next to the flasher relay. It works really well. Article here. http://www.saabcentral.com/techhelp/c900/intermittent_wipers.php These appear on eBay from time to time for about £10. They are identifiable by the large 99 printed on the top of the case.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Or, you could fix the taillamp assembly grounds......

Not wanting to appear as what a former member may deem to be a follower ...

But this would certainly me my 1st port of call and I suspect it will be your issue ... ... so follow I shall .

A simple check is to attach a temporary *fly lead * to an earth point and the earth track of the assembly .

The permanent fix is to attach a separate earth to the earth track of the assembly , Do this independent of the existing Connector block , as that already blackened and Weak connection point will be the root of your evil .

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Paul,
can't tell anything from photo, but remembered it's the other two the drivers side which are the same,:eek: both steel cased about 1" square, but have over 100 relays, so probably have the right one's in the box somewhere,;ol; lol

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the helpful suggestions guys. Pleased to discover that you can get at the relay without stripping out the kneepad :lol: :D. Might try rear lamp cluster first though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts