SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm about to pick up some new wheels and have my eyes on 2 sets. First up, the 9-3 Independence Editions. If you're unfamiliar with these, look them up. I've tracked down a nice set of 19x8.5 HRae 540R wheels and tires as well (I'm on my iPad and it is a pain to upload pics). Which do you guys prefer? It would be awesome to have HRE's on a Saab, they're nearly $5,000 wheels and are used on some beautiful cars. The tires on them only have about a season left unfortunately, but the price is right. The Independence Editions would end up being more expensive as I'd have to buy them new and pick up new tires as well. They're also only 18s.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Saab isnt a Lambo, Ferrari, Merc, Maseratti, Porsche etc....HREs are high end wheels, for high end cars not for an Opel sold in America!!!!
$5000 wheels on a car that is probably worth $5000.

but its your car. like i said i love HREs but i dont think they belong on a Saab. post some pics up of whatever you choose.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm about to pick up some new wheels and have my eyes on 2 sets. First up, the 9-3 Independence Editions. If you're unfamiliar with these, look them up. I've tracked down a nice set of 19x8.5 HRae 540R wheels and tires as well (I'm on my iPad and it is a pain to upload pics). Which do you guys prefer? It would be awesome to have HRE's on a Saab, they're nearly $5,000 wheels and are used on some beautiful cars. The tires on them only have about a season left unfortunately, but the price is right. The Independence Editions would end up being more expensive as I'd have to buy them new and pick up new tires as well. They're also only 18s.
easy choice, independence edition ;ol;

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Saab isnt a Lambo, Ferrari, Merc, Maseratti, Porsche etc....HREs are high end wheels, for high end cars not for an Opel sold in America!!!!
$5000 wheels on a car that is probably worth $5000.

but its your car. like i said i love HREs but i dont think they belong on a Saab. post some pics up of whatever you choose.
I totally agree. They are overkill for a Saab. But... I'm not paying $5000 for them, they're almost $1k less than the Independence ones. I'm looking more for opinions on which ones you guys prefer, not which ones accurately correlate to the price of the car (my car is worth more than $5k;ol;). To put it in perspective, I'd be in about $2,200 for the IE wheels and $1,500 for the HRE's. It seems like a no brainer to me to buy the Rolls Royce of wheels that are an inch bigger in diameter for $700 less than the IE wheels but I slightly prefer the IE wheels.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'd go with the HRE, but that's because they are similar to BBS LM's. BBS LM's have been done on many 9-3's and personally I think they look great.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm adding right, I know the IE wheels are 300 each so 1200 for a set plus tires which could be anywhere from 400-800 for a set so I think maybe 2k tops for those but how are the HRE's down to about 1000? That is a good deal, even if you buy them to sell later and/or use. Both look good, so I'd say do whatever makes you and your wallet happy.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure if I'm adding right, I know the IE wheels are 300 each so 1200 for a set plus tires which could be anywhere from 400-800 for a set so I think maybe 2k tops for those but how are the HRE's down to about 1000? That is a good deal, even if you buy them to sell later and/or use. Both look good, so I'd say do whatever makes you and your wallet happy.
I'm budgeting close to 1k for tires for the IE wheels, $400 tires would be a nightmare. Replacements for the HRE's would be at least that. I'm leaning towards the HRE's. A better wheel for less money. I will probably powder coat them gunmetal. With 19's I will have less wheel gap so they might end up saving me in the long run as well.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I would definitely go with the HREs, just be careful not to bend them! I love that style wheel, how much do they weigh?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hey guys,

HRae 540R's! ;ol;

·
Registered
218 Posts
i'd say the HRae 540R, because as stated above they look like BBS LM/Work vs-xx and those two are my most favorites of rims, and any car they'll put on look amazing, regardless of price,.

Do what makes you happy

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I forgot to mention that they're used, and for only $1,600 with tires. I'd shoot myself before paying $6,000 for wheels, lol. I'm not sure how much they weigh, I'd have to imagine with the materials they use and the fact that they're 3 piece that they're very light.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I checked out the HRE's today and they're beautiful. I'm going to go with them. I prefer the looks of the IE's but they don't seem to look as good on 9-3s. Plus, these are way higher quality wheels for less so it's a no brainer. Someone asked about the weight. I didn't get a weight from the seller but I lifted them to put them against my stock wheels and they're extremely light. I could probably arm curl both of them with tires. I'd guess around 20 pounds each or so.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I checked out the HRE's today and they're beautiful. I'm going to go with them. I prefer the looks of the IE's but they don't seem to look as good on 9-3s. Plus, these are way higher quality wheels for less so it's a no brainer. Someone asked about the weight. I didn't get a weight from the seller but I lifted them to put them against my stock wheels and they're extremely light. I could probably arm curl both of them with tires. I'd guess around 20 pounds each or so.
I'd def go HRE. If I'm upgrading wheels I don't want something OEM. Maybe a used pair of OEM's but at the price of brand new it makes no sense to want a heavier wheel that doesn't look nearly as good. I looked into DPE wheels a while ago, 1 piece forged, 900 bucks a pop, I may try to do that next summer.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd def go HRE. If I'm upgrading wheels I don't want something OEM. Maybe a used pair of OEM's but at the price of brand new it makes no sense to want a heavier wheel that doesn't look nearly as good. I looked into DPE wheels a while ago, 1 piece forged, 900 bucks a pop, I may try to do that next summer.
You're right. I can't wait to pick them up this weekend. I want to swap the silver center caps they come with for some red and blue ones but they're something stupid like $300. I guess $300 is a drop in the bucket for someone who drops $6,000 on wheels alone.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bought the HREs yesterday, cant wait to get them on:cheesy:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts